ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Isolateral row question
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:11 am 

I've been doing sort of a large volume on a Hammer plate loaded isolateral row machine as part of my 8 x 8 madness of recent weeks. I'm really liking it and I can really feel it in my upper back, lats, and biceps. However... I know "feeling" the lift doesn't really translate to "good for you".

So my question is if anybody has any experience with the hammer isolateral row machine, pros/cons, etc?

I know, I know, first question "what are your goals?"

I'm doing the 8 x 8 as part of a three exercise circuit that uses a push, a pull, and a lower body component. Mainly as a way to lose fat: I go light to moderate weight, eight sets of eight reps with minimal rest time. I know that there are other methodologies that are more effective, but that's not my question really. I'm using the isolateral row machine as a "pull" component to balance out my "push" component. I've also been using cable row, inverted rows, Dumbbell rows, and assisted pullups, but have found myself biasing toward the isolateral row machine more than the others because I like it more. What I don't want to do is end up reinforcing a bad movement by using it so much.

So... thoughts? should I make the extra effort to balance with inverted rows and DB rows? Is the isolateral row machine something I should completely avoid? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

They're good as lever machines go.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:18 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I have scant experience, but non-zero. I'm going heavy into it this cycle. FWIW, my gym has only hammer strength iso equipment as far as machines go.

I suspect the Iso low row aggravates my shoulder, but not sure. Will be doing this once/week for next 3 weeks. If shoulder starts regressing this is the first move I will drop.

The Iso high row seems to be safe and effective, have used it before but not consistently. Will also be doing this once/week for next 3 weeks.

The pulldown I've used consistently and it seems to be the only thing that helps my "tragically latless" back and definitely does not aggravate the shoulder. Will also be doing this once/week for next 3 weeks.

First two weeks will be volume, trying for 3 sets/10, final week will be intensity, looking for heaviest weight I can do for 5.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:35 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Hammer strength are the creme de la creme of machines

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:56 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

OK tonight was pulldowns, which as I've previously said don't give me a problem. It's a deload week so I went light for sets of 12 or so.

Guys with shoulder issues need to be careful at the top of pulldowns. I can't figure out what I'm supposed to do, so I raise the seat so I'm just shy of fully extended at the top, and I don't have any issues that way.

Just throwing this out into the ether.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:50 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@Khronos8:

Hammer Strength makes six different iso-lateral rowing machines:

Iso-lateral wide pulldiown:

Iso-lateral front lat pulldown

Iso-lateral high row

Iso-lateral D.Y. row

Iso-lateral rowing

Iso-lateral low row

Which machine are you using?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:56 am 

@Stephen - the Isolateral row machine I'm using is the one second from the bottom. The one labeled "isolateral rowing".

I had no idea that they had so many variations! we only have the one in my gym.