ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:42 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

In light of the recent debate in another thread I figured it is appropriate to share my unscientific experience with carbs.

This morning I reached my goal of 20lb weight loss (194 to 174) and it's been less than 8 weeks. BF goal is not met yet--went from 17% to 14%. Strength doubled (measured by weight pressed/pulled) and aerobic capacity expanded (inferred from heart rate during HIIT cardio).

Below is a short, inconclusive list of the things I did. Out of all things, the marquee seems to be the reduction of carbs and change in their form, but I'll let you judge that.

Diet:
- Switch grocers to one where clean and organic products are in abundance.
- Switch the carb-protein-fat macros from 60-30-10 to 30-50-20
Carbs:
- Watch very carefully that at least 90% of carbs consumed are of low GI. Sugars being consumed only incidentally in small amounts (milk, etc).
- Switched beer to dry wine when I'm out. Blessedly, dry wine was close to my heart.
- Other than alcohol, I drink exclusively water. Well, freshly ground coffee too, but it's near-black.
Protein:
Nothing changed. Always preferred lean and hated fatty steaks or skin of all types. One exception being buffalo wings and I miss them dearly.
Fat:
I always avoided it like the plague. Now, it is welcomed with open arms. NOT YET like Stu, who is not afraid of saturated fats, but true to the traditionally "good" fats.
- EAT MORE. Nothing structured, but I certainly eat very often. Small portions, snacks, whatever it takes to keep hunger off. I USED try to have the last meal at 7pm. Now I eat at 9pm and even at midnight if need be.
***Sub-point here. Protein is emphasized closer to bed. Fat is more likely to be added than carbs.
- Cheat days are not scheduled, but they come up. Life happens.

Workout:
- Instead of just lifting here and there, switched to a structured routine.
Day 1: Chest, Back, Legs (Found 3 leg exercises that spare my knees. Did so thanks to Dub and Jungledoc who wouldn't take my excuses re: knee problems. Thanks guys!)
Day 2: Abs
Day 3: Shoulders and arms
Day 4: HIIT cardio (10 cycles of 30s full-force sprint, 90s rest)
Repeat.
- Day 1 is low vol, high intensity 90s rest. Day 3 is moderate vol, moderate intensity, 60s rest.
- Day 2 and 4 are 'rest' days. No true rest days scheduled, but they come up. Life happens.

Things I know I'm doing wrong, but struggle fixing:
- Breathing. It seems like I picked a nasty habit of holding my breath instead of exhaling as I concentrate on form. I usually realize that during the set and then I lose concentration or the "mental pump" and form suffers or the set stops (if weight is heavy). There are horror stories about the effects of poor "breath form" (?).
- Form is messy. Messier more here than there, but messy.
- Sleeping. I am not sure whether it is because I drink a lot of water and my bladder is still adjusting (actually read that online) or due to this rapid lifestyle change. Can't seem to get a decent rest.
- Grains. I do watch the GI, but people here said to cut grains out. Not sure how. I can actually feel something like an oncoming headache if insulin drops and even 10g of carbs in form of 1/2 slice of whole grain bread/cracker fix me up. Al dente cooked whole grain pasta is my pre-workout fuel.

Pardon the rant! My deadline was Sep 1st and I was really surprised to have reached it today, so I had to share.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:08 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

That's awesome. Good to hear you've found your way and that you're making progress. Feel free to share your workouts on the journal section.

About grains. They are not poison. Stu doesn't like grains, Paleo people in general don't. I'm not a fan of grains as the main source of carbos, but it won't murder you to take some bread or pasta. If your stomach can handle it and there's no blood sugar rollercoaster, then by all means eat grains. It's still smart to keep it as whole grain as possible, even if it's not really "whole grain" anymore. Whole grains contain better amylose-amylopectin ratio and lots of fiber and some nutrients, which causes it to digest slower and raise your insulin and blood sugar in a more controlled method. Cutting grains is Paleo-thinking, and is intentioned to make you feel better and not be fat. But if you feel good and keep it lean, no problem.
Besides, I love bread. And Oats.

About breathing, Tony Gentilcore wrote a good article that sums up some breathing exercises nicely. Check it out. It may not give you too much of new information, but rather something to fix your breathing technique.
http://www.tonygentilcore.com/blog/what ... -patterns/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:33 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dub wrote:
About grains.

Have you heard about Food for Life? Two different nutritionists recommended this bread to me for being a true whole grain and for its amino acid profile.
What do you think?
http://www.foodforlife.com/product-catalog/ezekiel-49/breads/120C6-organic-sprouted-whole-grain-flourless-bread

Thanks for the breathing link!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:04 am 
former lurker

Hello guys,
Take a brisk walk before lunch or dinner. Not only will you get in some exercise, you're less likely to choose something unhealthy after a little movement.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:21 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

you dont say...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:27 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

seanjackson wrote:
Hello guys,
Take a brisk walk before lunch or dinner. Not only will you get in some exercise, you're less likely to choose something unhealthy after a little movement.

eh? I'm sure as hell taking a bus to burger king