ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:45 pm 

today 3kg more weight with the same bodyfat % as in august, when i started with barbell training. nice gain, but how much is possible?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:25 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

ephs wrote:
today 3kg more weight with the same bodyfat % as in august, when i started with barbell training. nice gain, but how much is possible?

impossible to say, just train hard and eat properly and you'll gain as much as you can gain.

I've gained over 60lbs of muscle since I started training and I'm not done yet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:49 pm 

robertscott wrote:
ephs wrote:

impossible to say, just train hard and eat properly and you'll gain as much as you can gain.

yes, but is about 1 kg per month good? maybe i could eat better. but gain is gain! respect for 60 lbs. may i ask how your height, weight and bodyfat% are?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:56 pm 

ephs wrote:
robertscott wrote:
ephs wrote:

yes, but is about 1 kg per month good? maybe i could eat better. but gain is gain! respect for 60 lbs. may i ask how your height, weight and bodyfat% are?

1kg is fine as long as it's not all going to your gut.

My 60lbs gain isn't actually all that impressive, I was 130lbs when I started and I'm 5' 11" so I was pretty underweight.

I'm currently 195lbs. I like to tell myself I'm 10% bodyfat but I'm probably closer to 12-14. Long term goal is 200lbs and 8% bodyfat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:39 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
My 60lbs gain isn't actually all that impressive, I was 130lbs when I started and I'm 5' 11" so I was pretty underweight.
I'm currently 195lbs. I like to tell myself I'm 10% bodyfat but I'm probably closer to 12-14. Long term goal is 200lbs and 8% bodyfat

I just noticed I'm competing on front squats against a dude who is same sized as I am, just has over 10kg more muscle than I do. Also I did some body composition tests today again. Roughly 77kg with 10-12% of fat (the machine said around 12%). And the height is 180cm.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:48 am 

Dub wrote:
robertscott wrote:

I just noticed I'm competing on front squats against a dude who is same sized as I am, just has over 10kg more muscle than I do. Also I did some body composition tests today again. Roughly 77kg with 10-12% of fat (the machine said around 12%). And the height is 180cm.

I've had a bad back you pig! The only way is up for my front squat.

I wouldn't have challenged you if I wasn't confident of outstripping you with ease

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:42 am 

i'm 181cm, which is also 5 fett 11 inches or not, 78kg and 16% bodyfat. i'm going to join the competition soon. 88 kg with the size and 12-14% bodyfat is impressive! that's 10 kg more than me and also less bodyfat!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:44 am 

is there another reason than safety because of that you are front squatting and not back squatting?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:10 am 

ephs wrote:
is there another reason than safety because of that you are front squatting and not back squatting?

front squats are easier on your back, that's the main reason I do them. Also put a bit more emphasis on the quads which isn't a bad thing in bodybuilder terms. Your upper back has to be locked into extension too, more so than when back squatting, which is good for posture correction.

Due to the higher level of core activation it's easier to hit a decent depth too. In my mind there's just no reason to back squat instead of front squat unless you are a powerlifter.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:09 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
In my mind there's just no reason to back squat instead of front squat unless you are a powerlifter.

at least you prefaced it with "in my mind"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:24 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
robertscott wrote:
In my mind there's just no reason to back squat instead of front squat unless you are a powerlifter.

at least you prefaced it with "in my mind"

ya, it's entirely my opinion and not to be taken as fact, but I honestly can't think of a single advantage of back squats over front

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:30 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
ya, it's entirely my opinion and not to be taken as fact, but I honestly can't think of a single advantage of back squats over front

Back squats are easier on my knees. With a back squat i can get a nice wide stance so that when i squat down my shins are almost perpendicular to the floor. I can't do that with a front squat and it ends up 'upsetting' my delicate knees.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:40 pm 

hmm i didn't try serious front squatting yet. only a few sets with low weight and with crossed arms grip. i wasn't so comfortable. back squatting is easier imo. @robert and dub: do you front squat with crossed arms or with a clean grip?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:56 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Clean grip. I have never had any problem with clean grip mobility.
I tend to like Front Squats because they give hell of a stress on whole body with lower weights than back squats. Also I love the core activation. I usually work out alone, and I like to use the weightlifting platforms, so Front Squats are way easier to dump than back squats if your rep is failing. You can just toss it forward without a problem. And I like to work my Quads more on the squats. Deadlifts are for PC.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:06 pm 

I'm cross grip, I don't have anywhere near the flexibility to go clean grip. I've contemplated working on that once or twice but meh, I'm not an olympic lifter.

I've heard that clean grip keeps you more upright but I dunno, I think as long as you keep the elbows high you're fine.

Plus if cross grip is good enough for Tom Platz then it can't be that bad!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next