ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:11 am 
n00b
n00b

Do you count the time you spend changing weight as a rest?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You can do it either way. It also depends on how long you are resting and what it is for. If you are unloading plates, and doing short rest, you may be too winded to get a good set in.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:31 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Yes.

I tend to figure that if the work of moving plates around is taxing to me then I've got other problems.

But that's just me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:21 am 
n00b
n00b

I do warm-up (50%) and 1 set Full-body workout exercises. My goal is hypertrophy (15 rep warm-up, 8-12 rep working set, 60-90sec rest between sets/exercises), I have just started resistance training and do almost everything with barbell.

It really wears me out: warmup - change - set - change - warmup - set - etc.. and gets somewhat annoying. Different exercises - different weight. But I am stubborn and want stick to goal.

Will it hurt my goal if to take longer brakes? Additional 30-60sec?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:16 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

no. Incorporate the goal to reduce your rest, but for now, if you need to extend it, do so. It's no different that setting your initial lifts too heavy and re-assessing.

when I first started I thought weight changing was a pain, too. I do less exercises now, incorporate dumbles, and cables too. And I leave the collars off the barbell.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:21 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If you rest in the lines of 30s-120s you will have the most optimal window for hypertrophy. So no worry.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:50 pm 
Novice
Novice

Does rest time depend on type of exerc. or is it optimal to rest from 30-120 between sets?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

It depends on your goal and state of fatique.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:28 pm 
n00b
n00b

Thanks for the answers!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:03 pm 

led7x wrote:
Does rest time depend on type of exerc. or is it optimal to rest from 30-120 between sets?

No universal rules. If you are lifting primarily for strength (low-rep high-load), rest as long as needed to feel ready for the next set. But with a single work set, a minute or two should be plenty. For multiple work sets, you'll need more.

If you are lifting for conditioning, then shorter rest times are more appropriate, even as little as 30 seconds. But you have to be using weights that you can recover from in 30 seconds.

All of the elements, exercise selection, rep-set combination, rest times, and loading (weight lifted) all have to fit together in a way that makes sense. You can't expect to lift a 5RM set, then rest 30 seconds or even 2 minutes, and come back and do it again! On the other hand, you shouldn't do light, fast sets then sit around for 5 minutes between sets.

If you are really only doing a warm-up set then just 1 work set, the time between these shouldn't matter much, just load the bar and go. If the next exercise has some overlap with the previous one, you'll want to rest a bit before moving on to it.

In this, like in so much in resistance training, you can get information in print or on line, get ideas and opinions from friends in the gym or in forums (like us), but the deciding factor will be trying different things in real life. If you want precisely-timed rest times, pick a time, try it for a couple of workouts, then vary it. Try 30 seconds a couple of times. Then try 45 seconds. Then try a minute. See what happens. Are you able to complete the number of reps and sets that you want to complete (I'm assuming that you have good reasons for choosing the rep-set combination you are using)? Are you making progress?

For me, timing rest is annoying, and I can't ever remember to do it anyway. So I almost always go by feel.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:07 am 
Novice
Novice

Very helpful post, thanks :)