ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: six pack
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:46 am 
hi guys and ladies im looking to obtain a six pack and would like a diet and trainning schedule pls

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

What's your current training program like?
What's your current diet like?
What's your age?
How tall are you?
How much do you weigh?

and, though I'm ~assuming~ by your name that you are male, it makes a difference if you are female as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:49 am 
7 nights per week 20 minute run then 40mins sit ups press ups and so on
i 175 pounds
5ft 10
im male

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:16 am 
Rookie
Rookie

okay..

It sounds like you are not too obese, but also like you are not doing any weight training.

My suggestion for you would be for you to begin a lifting program. If you go to the main section of this site, you'll find a link to the Weight Training section. There you will find links for planning your own routine, and there are even WONDERFUL illustrations on specific lifts.

Start with a beginning whole body routine. Don't worry much about that 6 pack to begin with. Your focus should be on building a strong core, doing compound lifts, and just getting stronger, increasing your overall muscle base.

By increasing the amount of muscle you carry, you will also be lowering your bodyfat percentage. So...say you have a 30% bodyfat percentage right now (just an abstract number) by increasing your lean muscle, you'll be reducing that bodyfat.

Once you build up your muscles, then you'll want to work scrupulously on your diet in order to cut that fat down off your belly and allowing the muscles in your abdominals to shine through.

There are a lot of guys on this board who will be able to give you better, more specific advice. Personally, a 6-pack is unimportant to me (I have a beer keg belly!) But, others here work hard to keep themselves looking great.

Genetics plays into it as well, but no matter what your genetics, if you want a '6-pack', you definately need to start hoisting some iron.

in my opinion.

good luck!

dian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:37 am 
n00b
n00b

any body help me with a diet and training methods to obtain a six pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:16 am 
Toby, try this. Eat mostly veggies, whole grains and lean protein. Have a little fat like almonds, olive oil, flax oil etc. Eat mostly berries with regards to fruit and just 1 or 2 servings cheese. Not to much milk because of the lactose. No junk food, no regular soda and certainly nothing with trans fat or hydroginated oil. Drink at least 3 quarts of noncaloric liquid. Most of it should be water. Take a multivitimin. Shoot for about 2500 calories or so. Don't go real low with the calories as that kills your metabolism.

On Monday and Thursday, do this.
As much as you can lift for 8 to 10 reps
1 bench press
1 incline bench
1 bent over row
1 pulldown
1 lateral raise
1 squat
1 straight leg deadlift
1 weighted situps in decline position
a set of each calves, curls, tricep extensions are all optional

On Friday do your regular 20 minute run. Keep your heart rate in the cardio range. This is for heart/lung health.

On other days (Tue, Wed, Sat, Sun) do this
after warmup jog, do intervals
start with 5 30 second 100% sprints seperated by 1 minute jogs.
so its jog run jog run jog run jog and so on.
Try to work up to 15 one minute sprints seperated by 1 minute jogs

After you get your body fat cut real low, you will have a six pack, or 8 pack really. You may find that when you get it, you might want to make your muscles larger. If that is the case you will want to start a bodybuilding type program at that time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:30 am 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Toby, what the previous poster sent you is pretty much what you would have come up with (in terms of training) had you followed Dian's route, Pretty decent stuff. The templates provided in the weight training section just add for a little more leeway in exercise movements. Another approach would be fullbody movements, rather than targeting specific groups. Either way is good, Here is an example
http://www.mensjournal.com/healthFitnes ... nutes.html
Now to diet. The previous poster gave real good advice. I tend to think more in general terms though, and you can find that in the nutrition section of this website. Here is, what I consider, a little more general and reader/user friendly version
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... habits.htm
http://www.johnberardi.com/articles/nut ... ting_2.htm
Good training

Post subject: carter
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:35 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]