ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:06 am 

in case you don't know it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzD9BkXGJ1M

crossfit is very new in germany, there are only a handful of approved crossfit gyms around. some use the trick of calling their gym crosshall or crossathletic or something like that to avoid the affiliate fee.

my idea is to finish my master in economics (takes 3 more semesters) and then to open a crossfit gym. the trainer license costs 1000$ and they charge 3000$ per year to use the name crossfit. the market in germany is full of companies which provide low cost memberships for 20 euro. their main clients are the average joes, who try to lose some weight and be cool, cause they have a membership in the gym. i would like to adress the people who are more into basic hard training and also endurance training. i think with the name crossfit, which is becoming more popular in germany, i could outrule some other gyms in the area.

1) what do you think of crossfit in general?
2) what do you think of my idea?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

your skills, knowledge, personality, contacts, etc, will far out weigh the significance of the actual product regarding whether or not you succeed.

On that note I think your idea stinks, but I'm not one to take risks.

I like watching Cross Fit competitions on ESPN.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:57 am 

yeah, i'm still a novice to serious weight training, but it's over one year til i'll finish my studies. i can learn a lot in this time.

i just would like to work in the fitness sector. and the best start is to make any kind of license. i just have the idea of opening my own business, so that my economics studies would not be totally senseless.

if i really get in shape til i finish my studies and learn a lot, then make a good license, then nobody could see that i'm only a few years in the game. nobody starts with a very good knowledge. i cant have a very good knowledge, cause i'm only 27 years old. so not many years of experience. but that's why im asking and asking in this forum to get a better knowledge!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:47 pm 

Crossfit is pretty controversial for a number of reasons. Keep reading and researching about them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:10 pm 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Jungledoc wrote:
Crossfit is pretty controversial for a number of reasons. Keep reading and researching about them.

The Truth About Cross Fit
http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_art ... t_crossfit

This provide an interesting persective on Cross Fit.

Senseless Training

The metality of Cross Fit is a bit primative. Their objective appears to be to push you to the point of puking and then beyond.

Their metality is to make you physically and mentally tough. That basically what one Cross Fitter told me.

My reply was he needed to take it up a few notches with this idea...

Paul Barbee

One of the strongest powerlift in the late between 1972-1983 was Paul Barbee. I knew and trained at the same gym with him. He scared the hell out me.

Barbee's recommendation of testing an individuals physical and mental toughness was to have them perform as many deadlifts as they could while having someone punch them in the face.

While Barbee was one of the strongest men of his era, he was also one of the craziest. He actually suffered from some type of psychosis.

Cross Fit mentality isn't that much different.

Trimming The Fat

The upside of Cross Fit is it strips the fat off you. It can be catagorized as a "Metabolic Workout". That meaning that you burn a lot of calories during the workout.

EPOC (Excess Post Oxygen Consumption)

You burn even more long after the workout is over. So, you become a fat buring machine

General Pepardness Preperation

Cross Fit might also be considered as general conditioning training.

The downside is that it in NO way prepares you for any sport.

However, for Police and Fire Personnel, who job revolves around needing a wide variety of general physical conditioning, it makes some sense.

MMA (Mix Martial Artist) would find SOME of the Cross Fit Training effective.

However, the goal of pushing someone until they fall over or puke is insane.

The Purpose of Training

The purpose of training is to increase performance, NOT to see how far you can go before you fall over or puke.

Downside of Cross Fit

This is not a muscle building program. Again, it is a "Metabolic Workout Program".

One Of The BIG Keys To Increasing Muscle Mass

One Cross Fitter that I work with has put on 8 pound of body weight, mostly muscle by cutting back on the "Metabolic" Cross Fit work out.

1) We decreased the his number or workout per week.

Exercise stimulates muscle growth. Recovery is where it muscle growth/strength take place. More Recovery = More Muscle

2) Decreased the length of his workouts, number or repetitions and allowed longer recover time between sets. In other word, Hypertrophy Training.

Another Problem

Cross Fit uses reps out in Olympic movements.

This is the epitome of stupidity.

Olympic movement are skilled and technical. Pushing an individual to exhaustion insure the lifter's technique will fall apart.

As they continue to past the point of fatigue, they reinforce poor technique and promote injury.

Making MONEY with Cross Fit

Cross Fit Gym here in New Mexico charge $100 (which is cheap) to $150 a month.

That 76 to 114 Euro's a month.

That's definitely put you in a different market.

It seperates the "average joe" and those without money from the motivated with money.

Marketing 101

I spent 15 years in advertising before changing careers.

One of the thing you want to do is offer something NO one else has.

Economics 201

I flunked basic economics in college.

You know more than I ever will. You have the ability to survey the market and estimate what people are willing to pay.

However, my recommendation is to price to initially make and make it attractive to draw people in. Then inch it up to what the market will bear.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 6:41 pm 

Great summary, Kenny.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:33 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

If you open a Crossfit gym, you'll only get crossfitters. If you cast a little wider net you can cater to powerlifters, weightlifters, strongman competitors and other athletes, as well as crossfitters. After all, there's a lot of overlap in terms of equipment.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:12 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Mostly I think that if you have what it takes to invest the money and make a profit, you wouldn't be asking us. I mean that. We are not the market for Crossfit and we're all thinking at least a piece of what Kenny said.

Opening a business is about making money. Unless it will be subsidized by somebody with cash, it must earn you your living (plus your staff) or you close the doors and take a big loss on your equipment investment. If you are not solid on your startup costs and time to breakeven and time to profit, then save your money.

Forget whether it is worthwhile, interesting, or effective. As a business the only thing that matters is if you can make back your investment with profit. And, how long will it last? Is it a fad? Will all of the motivated people with money (as Kenny points out that's your market) move on in a year or two? What if they don't like you and go to the crossfit gym down the street once that opens up?

I know a guy who opened a gym, as far as I can tell, surely for the love of it. He tells me you don't go into it for the money. So I suppose he can afford to not be in it for the money.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:07 pm 

no, you got me wrong. i don't want to open a crossfit gym, cause it brings me more money per member. the problem is that germany is full of cheap gyms from big companies that i cant compete with. so i chose crossfit, because i like the style of training and because it is very new to germany, so i could pull members with the name (don't know if you can say that in english). i would like to offer it for 50 euro per month, so i would be in the price class of the gyms in germany, which also offer courses to the people.

i know that crossfit has some weaknesses, but i think it's a good complex program to build strength and endurance.

the idea from matt z is also good, but in germany nobody is interested in things like powerlifting or olympic lifts, you just need a big name like crossfit to get people to join your gym.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:09 pm 

i also don't want to do it too earn a big amount of money. i could do other things to earn a lot more. opening a gym is just a way for me to be in the sports scene and do this for a living. my other option is to do accounting or financial stuff in an office for 8 hours a day.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:57 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

KenDowns wrote:
Mostly I think that if you have what it takes to invest the money and make a profit, you wouldn't be asking us.
Most others on this thread either love to see their bloated answers on the screen or are too nice.
I'm not trying to insult you. I could not open and run a gym. The difference is I know that without asking 10 strangers for input.

ephs wrote:
i also don't want to do it too earn a big amount of money. i could do other things to earn a lot more. opening a gym is just a way for me to be in the sports scene and do this for a living.
What else can you do to earn a lot of money - while owning a gym? Or you just own the gym but spend little time working on the business of building it?

ephs wrote:
my other option is to do accounting or financial stuff in an office for 8 hours a day.
oh the horrah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:26 pm 

Perhaps what he's trying to say is that he could potentially make more money working a boring 9-to-5 job, but would rather make a living doing something he enjoys. That said, he would still have to make enough off his gym to live.

I'm not sure charging more than double the membership fee of other gyms is the best business model. I also think he may be overestimating the drawing power of the Crossfit name.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:47 pm 

Insead of opening an expensive brand-name gym and relying on a name to bring in members, he might try offering something different at a competative price. For example, he could try opening a no-frills gym consisting mainly of free weights with some more specialized equipment like climbing ropes, rings, steel logs, farmers walk handles, bumber plates & platforms, etc. This could appeal to a variety of gymgoers who want something a little more hardcore and performance oriented than your typical big box gym. I could also save on start up costs, since barbells, dumbbells, racks and benches cost a lot less than treadmills and weight machines.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:02 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Matt,

the concept is not the prmary problem

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:16 pm 

Depends on how you look at it. ... If your foundation is seriously flawed, then it doesn't really matter how good a carpentar you are. The house is going to fall down.