ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:20 pm 
Novice
Novice

You got it right. I can do squats and deadlifts at my friends place, I know they're very important so I won't skip them.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

So far this is how i see my plan:

Mon: Weights lower: - Barbell squats
- Deadlifts
- Blgarian split squat
- Barbell lunges
-Add abs??

Tue: BW upper: - Pullups
- Dips
- Pushups

Thu: BW lower: - Pistol squats
- Jumping squats
- Jumping lunges
- Calf raises
- Wall sit
- Add abs??

Fri: Weights upper: - Dumbbell curls
- Dumbbell rows
- Dumbbell flys / Bench press

Since I don't know many weights exercises these seem okay, but every help is very appreciated. Comments? :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:23 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

The best way to craft a good program is to start lifting.

Take your planned workout and start. It looks heavy to me, I might not be able to complete it, but you might. Hard to predict those things.

So you just run through it, record everything in a journal, and revisit and revise.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:54 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'd recommend doing DB Bench or Row first, since they are the biggest exercises. Unless you seriously want to build those biceps. Or you can use overhead press as well. Or Floor press for triceps. Everythings good.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 4:24 am 
Novice
Novice

Then I'll switch order for rows and DB bench. I'm starting today with this program and like Ken said it's best to start and see how things go. Thank you guys very much for your time :D

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:51 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi guys, I have question for you. I had a discussion with my friend about which body parts should you do with weights. Our goal is to get strong and build some muscle, not to be some bodybuilders. I said that its perfectly fine to workout chest, biceps and lats in one days while he says that its better to do exercises which complement each other; so if you work chest its not good to do biceps. So can you shed light on that topic?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:03 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

you can pair whatever bodyparts you like, it won't matter. You could argue that it makes sense to train chest and triceps together as your triceps will already be warmed up (the same goes for back and biceps), but if you ramp up your biceps exercises sensibly it'll be fine

Dorian Yates paired chest and biceps together and he did ok

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:19 pm 

If your goal is general strength, then don't think about individual muscles. Think about movements that involve many muscles.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:29 pm 

these are the movements:
knee dominant (squat)
hip dominant (deadlift)
horizontal press (bench press)
vertical press (overhead press)
horizontal pull (row)
vertical pull (pull ups)

a thread of vertical vs. horizontal pull is going on right now. do compound exercises for every movement to get stronger at every movement you make.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc wrote:
If your goal is general strength, then don't think about individual muscles. Think about movements that involve many muscles.

ephs wrote:
these are the movements:
knee dominant (squat)
hip dominant (deadlift)
horizontal pull (row)
vertical pull (pull ups)

a thread of vertical vs. horizontal pull is going on right now. do compound exercises for every movement to get stronger at every movement you make.

So you're saying to get strong you have to master movements first, and when you get them applying weights is just going to make you stronger with building some muscles also. Here also says that bodyweight exercises are integral when doin that kind of workout. Is that right?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:07 pm 

Bodyweight exercises are an option, not the only one. You can do those same movements with bodyweight, barbells, dumbbells, machines and logs and rocks out in the woods. The tools are unimportant.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:53 pm 

led7x wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:

ephs wrote:
these are the movements:
knee dominant (squat)
hip dominant (deadlift)
horizontal pull (row)
vertical pull (pull ups)

So you're saying to get strong you have to master movements first, and when you get them applying weights is just going to make you stronger with building some muscles also. Here also says that bodyweight exercises are integral when doin that kind of workout. Is that right?

No. I'm saying that these are the movements that you need to train with weights. Like Stu says, any kind of weights can be used for that. You said that your goal isn't to be a body builder, then you talk about training the way that body builders do. I suspect that you have read some articles that are targeted at body builders, or have gotten training advice from one. I'm not saying that it's bad to be a body builder (we all love you Bob), but that they have a particular way that they train, and that you probably need to do things differently. You only need to work individual muscles in isolation if you are trying to get them to stand out from the other nearby muscles. To be strong, teach many muscles to work together.

Think about it. In daily life you don't think, "OK, I'm going to contract my biceps now." No, you just pick up whatever you need to pick up, using your biceps, your grip muscles, the muscles of your chest, back and shoulders along with the biceps. So do weight training exercises that make all of those muscles work together.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:30 am 
Novice
Novice

That makes sense, thanks for explanation. With all that in mind; when we're working out we can combine whole upper body ( chest,lats, bicep and back ) in one workout and it will be fine? Sry if i'm asking stupid questions but i dont know where to find answers for that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:28 am 

like robertscott said, it's up to you how you design your program.

you can work your full body on one day, or you can split push/pull or upper/lower. important is enough recovery between working out the different muscles.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:20 am 
Novice
Novice

I'll go with upper lower, i was just afraid that i wont get good results if i combine many different muscles in one workout

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next