All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sodium
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:17 am 
Novice
Novice

All I know about sodium is:

- biggest source is salt
- causes water retention

Couple of questions; what other foods are high in sodium? I'm assuming unhealthy foods (ready meals etc) contain alot, I'm thinking more of healthy foods or basic foods, e.g. a read somewhere bread has a lot of sodium. (Haven't got the source of this sorry)

Does water retention mean the amount of water in all your cells? Muscle cells?

Post subject: Re: Sodium
PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:04 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

All processed foods have sodium. Most people get 3/4 of their sodium from processed, junk and fast food. If you eliminate these foods from your diet, not only will most of your health issues go away but you will likely need to add salt to your food.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:22 am 
Novice
Novice

Well I don't eat ready meals at all, so what is actually classed as processed foods? I eat potato's (not chips), brown rice, wholemeal pasta, brown bread, the only frozen food is chicken and fish.
I always have cravings of putting salt on my meals, which to me means my body needs sodium?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:36 am 

what if you just like the taste of salt? :grin:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:04 pm 
Novice
Novice

haha i do love salt, salt and mayo have to my favourite toppings for nearly all foods!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:13 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Uh oh I hope you don't discover salt pills.

Sounds like you want soy sauce.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:26 pm 

stharrison wrote:
Well I don't eat ready meals at all, so what is actually classed as processed foods? I eat potato's (not chips), brown rice, wholemeal pasta, brown bread, the only frozen food is chicken and fish.
I always have cravings of putting salt on my meals, which to me means my body needs sodium?

Bread is a processed food and is a source of salt (the #1 source in American diets). Pasta, potatoes and rice are normally prepared in salted water. Still, if that's the way you're eating, you may very well need more salt. Doing some arithmetic, if most people get twice as much as the need, and most people get 3/4 from processed foods, then those people that don't eat processed foods likely only get about half the salt that they need. Sodium deficiency can cause seizures and coma. The body will tell you very clearly when it need more. That's what the cravings are. This is also why salt was so highly prized in ancient times.

On the other hand, your cravings may be a result or a dysfunctional body feedback system. If you have high blood pressure, you should consider this a possibility.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 pm 
Novice
Novice

strathmeyer wrote:
Uh oh I hope you don't discover salt pills.

Sounds like you want soy sauce.

haha why soy sauce?

Stuward, I don't prepare my rice, pasta or potato's in salt water, and I thought bread was a big factor. I will listen to my cravings due to the fact I will probably need some from time to time and I don't have high blood pressure, I'm at pretty fit and healthy 20 year old.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:41 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Because it's full of sodium!

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... e&dbid=110

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:33 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I think many cheeses are delicious sources of sodium

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:20 am 

I would agree that it's best to avoid processed foods for a lot of reasons.

If you are in good overall health (no high blood pressure, no kidney diseases) you can use salt to taste. Add it to things if they taste better to you that way.

The most common way to become too low on sodium is to drink too much water. This is what comes of many coaches and others telling people to drink lots and lots of water, or that commercially-made sports drinks are a better, more effective way to hydrate. These people believe that we can be dehydrated without knowing it, and that it's best to anticipate water loss by drinking extra water or (better yet) sports drinks in advance. They quote lots of "science", all supported by the sports drink industry.

Drink to taste, salt to taste. Then don't worry about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:33 pm 
Novice
Novice

stuward wrote:
stharrison wrote:

Bread is a processed food and is a source of salt (the #1 source in American diets). Pasta, potatoes and rice are normally prepared in salted water. Still, if that's the way you're eating, you may very well need more salt. Doing some arithmetic, if most people get twice as much as the need, and most people get 3/4 from processed foods, then those people that don't eat processed foods likely only get about half the salt that they need. Sodium deficiency can cause seizures and coma. The body will tell you very clearly when it need more. That's what the cravings are. This is also why salt was so highly prized in ancient times.

On the other hand, your cravings may be a result or a dysfunctional body feedback system. If you have high blood pressure, you should consider this a possibility.

I'm interested in further understanding bread! I never realised it was a processed food, where would it come on a continuum for good/bad carbs say? Is it recommended to cut out bread if my main aim is aesthic appearance? I just thought bread was bread, white very unhealthy, brown pretty dam healthy to be honest!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:40 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stharrison wrote:
I'm interested in further understanding bread! I never realised it was a processed food

You just thought wheat grew in the shape of loaves ?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:52 pm 

Wheat is wheat and carbs is carbs.

Refined wheat has the downside of missing some nutrients and being more refined. Along with the nutrients in whole wheat comes some extra baggage like WGA.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-grai ... z2JPaRUAsB
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... leaks.aspx
http://anthonycolpo.com/the-whole-grain-scam/
http://towncenterwellness.com/announcem ... tinin-wga/
http://thatpaleoguy.com/2010/11/07/whea ... gglutinin/

All I know for sure was that I was just getting fatter until I stopped taking sandwiches to work.

One more point/rant about whole wheat. Wheat germ is a good source of betaine which metabolizes to choline. You can get it from soy as well. Choline can help in controlling metabolic syndrome and fatty liver. It is chronically deficient in the modern diet. Therefore whole wheat gets played up as very healthy. Of course the best source is egg yolks and liver both of which are casualties on the war against dietary fat. Folic acid is another reason people promote whole grains. Eat your greens.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
stharrison wrote:
I'm interested in further understanding bread! I never realised it was a processed food

You just thought wheat grew in the shape of loaves ?

:lol: