ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:36 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

no problem posting in here. I dont keep my journal here, just notes to help me be motivated for a new plan.

Garage is like 32 celcius. I have a fan, a good one. Still sweat all over the floor. Split training not so good, I'm lazy. Did I mention I'm a one shower a day (max) guy? But really it's more about packaging the study time and training during the time of day I normally would sleep, and instead of wasting life away at 3:00am, I get to bed by midnight (or earlier I suspect).

I only have a couple of hours with my wife, so generally would rather not train after work, taking time away from our dinner. Eating light at night is not a struggle if I'm eating alright throughout, I'll "refeed" on a couple nights.
As I said on the other thread, I think I'm not to the point where I have to get too detailed about macro/calorie timing, although, it's never too early to consider it.

I did scale back the program, taking out a push and pull on upper days, to save time, mostly, since I'm starting a new get up early schedule. I know another 15 minutes is all it takes, so yeah, probably put them back in in short order. Especially if doing the HIT a bit beforehand, it wont seem like the program is as tiring (thinking about doing burpees while going for max reps sorta distracts me)

Thanks for your input sir! It's much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:42 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

how often are you refeeding? Doing it too much'll be counter productive.

Maybe try a Warrior Diet style approach?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:10 am 

Warrior Diet and Eat-Stop-Eat are pretty similar.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:26 am 

I have to admit I don't know a whole lot about Eat Stop Eat. I thought the Warrior Diet put a bit less emphasis on fasting but I could be wrong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:43 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

robertscott wrote:
how often are you refeeding? Doing it too much'll be counter productive.

Maybe try a Warrior Diet style approach?

I have no trouble with the refeeds constantly. I honestly have been pathetic regarding consistency.

I am tweaking this training schedule (legs at night on Tues and Sat) because in the morning, I dont feel as strong. And, I tend to need more time for rest between sets to rush it in before work

So, now it's just a matter of motivation and discipline. I'll come up with a workable eating plan around this training.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:35 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

skipped last night training but made it up this morning. turns out if I'm up a bit and eat well, I can do legs in the morning. Still prefer night, for the extra break before Thur routine. But if I retweak things, I can consider moving to Wed morning.

so important under the new plan for me to get to bed regularly and get going in the morning. So much lost time in my life to make up for.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:42 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
... get to bed regularly and get going in the morning...

Oh no. Someone has hacked Oscar's account! This can't be him.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I got my BP monitor yesterday.
First reading was 140/78 with BPM = 68
Today an hour after hard exrcise where I got my heart rate up several times it was 125/82 with BPM = 90. Need to work on that recovery for sure.
Interesting, as a layman, I wonder: if my heart beats faster does that lower the pressure needed to move the same amout of blood? But that seems to fail common sense/physics. Pressure would be a function of the voloume of blood trying to move through the arteries per pump, yea?

I've kept the same basic workout but switched to ABCD (Upper/Lower almost) every other day. I get so ancy with 2 days off on a 3/week schedule. I'll just have to DVR Glee every other week and watch it on Friday.

The honest challenge for 2013 will be to stand up and overcome the fear that my marriage revolves around food (dine out) - or more specifically revolves around mediocracy (it's sad) more than we're ready to face. But these numbers while Im suspect of them, did scare me. And I'd rather be alive and single than dead and married, if thats where it goes.

New plan includes Wall Ball (r) push presses, or Slams on legs days and Mountain Climbers on upper days for finshers. I had blown off GPP for a few months. We'll be super duper low carb on off days and all but eliminate dine out junk 6 days /week for starters. I need to stay active at the grocery to keep the healthy options handy. But above this is trying to disconnect myself from caring what the wife is going to eat or how she will adjust to my changes. I can fix me,

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:58 am 

What about the numbers scares you?

They aren't great numbers, but they aren't all that bad, either. They should certainly be improved, but I'd think that getting back into the weight loss mode should bring them down fairly well.

Doesn't you wife like what you cook? I would have thought that it would be a nice thing for her if you do a lot of the cooking. Does she really love junk food that much? Sorry that this has to be an issue for you.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:08 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Marriage is a funny thing.

I found the new-agey touchy feely stuff to be weirdly accurate. She can't push your buttons if you uninstall your buttons. Its not the end of the world if you stay home and cook because you want to control what goes into your body. You can do the right thing and she won't appreciate it. Learn her "love language."

As a good friend of mine once said: you can be the best husband in the world, and she could wake up one day and say she's leaving you.

Weird one: I've gone decaf twice in my life and both times my wife reacted like we were a pair of winos and I was cleaning up and straightening out. She would pursue my practically pouring caffeinated coffee down my throat. Finally I realized, that's just some weird thing she's got going, I can drink whatever kind of coffee I want. It's not about the marriage, it's about caffeine.

Another: I announced I was going to give up all the sugar, and I swear my wife brought home so much junk food she needed a palette for it. I said, "what's this?" She said, "I'm Italian, I show love by buying food, this is my love language." HOly Sh*t! Sounds like your "I-hope-you-die-fat-and-diabetic language." So if I'm going to kick sugar it will be with in an outright hostile environment. It ain't the marriage, its just sugar.

...and of course, she's also putting up with your weird quirks, with varying degrees of patience or lack thereof.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:46 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I'm strongly considering / will be trying a plan where I essentially combine two different programming protocols,
1. Workout A, B, C, D rotating thru Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday (Upper / Lower). Notice 4 workouts rotating over 3 days
2. Workout 1, 2, 3, 4 to be done on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday respectively

ABCD are the traditional Big 4 lifts
The "Workout" is probaby going to be two or three exercises:
A. Squat, Dead Bugs, Romanian Deadlift
B. Bench Press, Pull Down
C. Deadlift, Plank, Split Squat
D. OH Press, Bent Over Row

1,2,3,4 consist more or less of ancillary exercises or are more of a condtioning nature
These are still being determined but may look something like
1 (Monday): Carry Heavy Bag, Cable Lateral Raise
2 (Wednesday): Mt Climbers / Push Ups / Cable Row
3 (Friday): Turkish Get Ups, Assisted Pull Ups, Suitcase carry
4 (Saturday): Tricep Cable Extension, Ez Bar Curls, Burpees Tabata-ish

Saturday wil be heavy day
Volume will be light during the weekdays, and pace will be quicker, as I plan to move to the morning training on work days and need to keep it 75 minutes or less

Anyway, if you've read this much, do you have any words of caution? The main "special" consideration is that I am pairing different sets of workouts over the weeks. Thus

Mon, A, 1
Wed, B, 2
Fri, 3
Sat, C, 4
Mon, D, 1
Wed, A, 2
Fri, 3
Sat, B, 4
Mon, C, 1
Wed, D, 2
Fri, 3
Sat, A, 4
Mon, B, 1
Wed, C, 2
Fri, 3
Sat, D, 4

fwiw, I've taken almost a month off now. This is thre first time I"ve taken more than a couple sessions in a row off in the 3 years Ive been trying my hand at this
I'm getting tired of really getting no where with any priorities except lifting. Do no lifting has gotten me no where with the others stuff, except in the case of sligthly better stress management. I felt I was relying too much on hitting the gym to off load work problems. I'd rather keep it all in perspective and not need a "vice".

this new plan includes diet and actuary study time as well. Hence, the break as resetting takes me a lot of time to rev up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:01 am 

I like your plan, nice and simple. Initial glance ad your post made me think it was too complicated but I like it.

Also, women are..well...women. We will never understand them, no point in trying to. Sometimes I feel like I do because I get on so well training them. But then sometimes this same perspective makes me realise more than anything else that we're just wired differently.

A wise training partner of mine always says, "this is life, this is our time - it's not a rehearsal". Basically, do it now or you may never do it. Of course, everyone knows this but, not many people really know.

I'm only 28 and the last 10 years feel more like 10 weeks. I know it won't be long before I'm 60 and wondering the same thing, "where has the time went?"

You have a plan, smash it. If anything feels like it's too much as the weeks go by, then don't be afraid to adjust it on the fly.

On that note, I have realised from looking through clients training programs and results, past and present, and my own, that the best plans i've made (based on results) have rarely went to plan.

Planning is a science but following the plan is an art.

KPj

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:58 am 

add some rear delt work and you're laughing

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:10 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

@RobertS

Yes, I agree. I thought about that before writing and on my way into work; but not as I was wrting the post. It's a work in progress. I also left off any Slams or WallBall work, which might be fruty, but its quick and I get work out of it to finish.
I'll do BB Delt Row instead of Cable Row on Wednesdays
Also, when pressing falls on a Saturday, I'll probably add Incline Dbs volume work.
When Lower is on Saturday, I'll add Incline Dbs volume work to Fridays... w.i.p.

I think this mix match will fit me well

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:46 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

well, you cannot just disappear these days with all this social media and satellites. A search party has located me. Or at least one caring member. So for anyone who cares, here is an update on me.

The focus this year has transformed from a few years of progress in training and spiritual growth to one of baby making and progress towards my Actuarial accreditation <-- more work to go on both

I did take a break from training for the better part of 3 months, but have been back for a few weeks now. Seeing that post from Feb 12th, gee, that seems like a kick butt idea. But with more time dedicated to studying, I'm not sure I'll want to do 4 days of training. Right now it's 2 heavy full body days, and one light+yard work day.

I do think about you all a good bit. We'll be back as I adjust to my new stresses and less free time.