ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:55 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Powerlift the big lifts and bodybuild the accessories.

So try and look at accessories through a bodybuilders lens. Weight isn't as important, there will always be the odd session that you go so hard on the big lifts that you have nothing left for the accessories, and that's ok, just get some high reps on the accessories and flush the target muscles full of blood.

Bodybuilders don't just want to get stronger, they want to get pumped. Chase the pump if you're not feeling strong. If you're feeling strong, chase the pump with a heavier weight.

Generally you want "your numbers up" - more reps with the same weight, same reps with a heavier weight, same reps same weight shorter rest. If i'm spent after the big lifts i don't push weight on accessories and try and just get the same done as before but more efficiently (same work, less time). If i'm still feeling good i'll up the weight for at least a set.

If you struggle to progress in any way whatsoever on your accessories, then change them. Preferably choosing something you suck at (these generally have the most room for improvement!).

Probably not the detail you're after but, they are what they are - accessories to the main lifts.

KPj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:40 pm 

KPj wrote:
Powerlift the big lifts and bodybuild the accessories.

So try and look at accessories through a bodybuilders lens. Weight isn't as important, there will always be the odd session that you go so hard on the big lifts that you have nothing left for the accessories, and that's ok, just get some high reps on the accessories and flush the target muscles full of blood.

Bodybuilders don't just want to get stronger, they want to get pumped. Chase the pump if you're not feeling strong. If you're feeling strong, chase the pump with a heavier weight.

Generally you want "your numbers up" - more reps with the same weight, same reps with a heavier weight, same reps same weight shorter rest. If i'm spent after the big lifts i don't push weight on accessories and try and just get the same done as before but more efficiently (same work, less time). If i'm still feeling good i'll up the weight for at least a set.

If you struggle to progress in any way whatsoever on your accessories, then change them. Preferably choosing something you suck at (these generally have the most room for improvement!).

Probably not the detail you're after but, they are what they are - accessories to the main lifts.

KPj

I like the idea of this. I always struggle with what to do with the "other stuff" after I do my 5/3/1 for the big four. I've tried this split and that split and can just never get the right mix of accessory lifts done right. I always feel like I'm missing some aspect of my training. With this, you get stronger and bigger all in one shot. I've been doing boring but big lately, but I need to round this out more. Now it's time to program!