ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are you avoiding ?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:15 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I'm not the only one who really should be doing some other more "important" things, but keep procrastinating, while, pretty much maintaining a consistant 3-4 day/week lifting schedule the last 3 years, right?
While, it's clear for me that it's the excessive tv viewing, and not the weight training, that should be replaced by soe more "beneficial" endeavors, Surely some of you also put off / avoid other duties, while using the iron to have the excuse "eh, I'd like to get around to such-n-such, but whew, ya know, I gotta go lift"

this might make more sense in my head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:19 am 

I've been avoiding getting an MRI on my shoulder in the misguided hope that the right paramedical practitioner can "fix" me and I didn't do something serious. Being a 140 pound powerlifter was never the goal.

But I'm always too busy at the gym to pick up the phone and make an appointment with my doctor. I'm hoping by posting here I can circumvent my own stupidity.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:58 am 

Oh, yeah. A list of stuff. But it's not usually lifting that displaces it. Checking the forum, checking Facebook, checking a couple of favorite blogs, playing a game or two, "just to relax".

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:00 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

If I did not have time to get to it then it obviously wasn't that important.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:28 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

KenDowns wrote:

Is procrastination "guilt" what arises when we are letting other down. perceived or otherwise, then?
Because if it matterd to us, we would do it?
In other words, we are who we want to be, but pretend to wish we were better so others won't think we are satisfied with our mediocracy?

(my 7th grade teacher stuck me with these thoughts and have always wondered what others believe)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:32 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
KenDowns wrote:

Is procrastination "guilt" what arises when we are letting other down. perceived or otherwise, then?
Because if it matterd to us, we would do it?
In other words, we are who we want to be, but pretend to wish we were better so others won't think we are satisfied with our mediocracy?

(my 7th grade teacher stuck me with these thoughts and have always wondered what others believe)

Geez Oscar, you're all over the place here. But I'm going to assume you're serious.

About 8 years ago I got really sick and was hospitalized. In this day and age I was in no danger, they gave me painkillers and an IV and my body fought it off, though by the time I got to the hospital I think they said later my kidneys were shutting down. But weird thing, if it had been 100 years ago they would have gathered around the bed and prayed and we would have found out if I could fight off an attack on my liver. Afterwards I pondered that old thought, if I die tomorrow, or 5 minutes from now, is what I'm doing right now the best thing I could do? I found this thought ultimately to be distracting and paralyzing, because there is always something more "worthy" of being done than what I'm doing now. I replaced the question with one that rang more true with me: is what I'm doing right now:

1) Good for somebody else?
2) Good for me? (put your own mask on before that of a child)

I will still get pangs of guilt around something I know I should have done. Who doesn't? They go away after I do it.

I do believe that several of the world's major religions (not all, as some may think) began with a mystic attempting to liberate people from impossible obligations (eg, many family's impossible expectations of Christmas) that usually served a small elite very well but made their victims miserable. Then of course a religion grows up after the mystic is gone that makes new impossible obligations, but that's another story. Buddha called it "the veil of illusion" that keeps you imprisoned, Jesus said "my burden is light" and other stuff. Reading the best sources we have on the mystics themselves I find very illuminating and liberating.

So, ask a weird question, get a weird answer!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:01 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

KenDowns wrote:
Geez Oscar, you're all over the place here. But I'm going to assume you're serious.

While I could be more concise, I thought I made a clear point.
Thank you for your thoughtful answer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:15 pm 

The meaning behind this thread is a little different than I thought. I may be procrastinating on a shoulder MRI because I'm scared of the results, but I made a decision a long time ago to stop embracing mediocrity. 

I pretty much subscribe to this:

I'm already working on my next "life." I couldn't be happier. 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:42 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

JasonJones wrote:
The meaning behind this thread is a little different than I thought. I may be procrastinating on a shoulder MRI because I'm scared of the results, but I made a decision a long time ago to stop embracing mediocrity. 

There was no "meaning" initially. I only side tracked it to address Ken's common refrain of ~ "I make time for what is important". There are various reason we all put off / avoid what we rationally believe is more important that what we are doing. Well, maybe not all (Ken). As noted I had a teacher who said you are what you want to be, but will verbalize what you want others to believe you are - hence our procrastinating stems from a conflct of who we are vs who we want others to think we are.
Clearly there are other reasons to put off some stuff, as you point out.

For me, I need to resolve what I want and what is right (defined as pursuing more financial security by maximizing the gifts I was given)

Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
We are glad to see you here again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:30 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.
We are glad to see you here again.

Thanks! You're right that it's a lot easier to create our own myths and have others believe them than it is to actually live them. Fooling yourself is a lot easier with company. Just like the emperor, as long as everyone is in on it nobody has to acknowledge who's naked.