ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:51 pm 

Ability to sit and rise from the floor is closely correlated with all-cause mortality risk

Jungledoc, you'll appreciate this. The link is to an article and there is a Youtube video of the test in progress in the article. I'm sorry you can't watch videos.

http://www.escardio.org/about/press/press-releases/pr-12/Pages/ability-to-rise-correlated-mortality.aspx

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:34 pm 

This is indeed interesting to me! I can go down and up using only one hand. I'll work on a no-support version later!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:57 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Seems arbritrary.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:38 am 

The way I see it, this is a simple test that integrates strength, mobility and coordination. It's easy to see how those attributes could help keep someone safe. I have known for a long time there was a correlation between strength and mortality. I didn't realize it was that important.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:46 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
This is indeed interesting to me! I can go down and up using only one hand. I'll work on a no-support version later!

It would help if you could see the video. The successful ones crossed their ankles and rose and descended into a cross legged sit.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:24 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Seems arbritrary.

Not arbitrary but observational. They just observed that more people who did poorly on this little test died during the study period than did people who did well.

I'd like to see the actual study article and see how or if they controlled for age. You might reason that the younger participants tended to do well on the test, and also tended not to die.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:06 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Seems arbritrary.

Not arbitrary but observational. They just observed that more people who did poorly on this little test died during the study period than did people who did well.

I'd like to see the actual study article and see how or if they controlled for age. You might reason that the younger participants tended to do well on the test, and also tended not to die.

All the other references I can find link back to this press release. Perhaps the main study hasn't been released to public yet.

It seems like an easier test than other measures of frailty. Here's a summary of a Canadian study from last year that linked frailty as a mortality risk independent of age.

http://extremelongevity.net/2011/04/28/ ... t-any-age/

Quote:
The practical implications of this study are that individuals must strive to maintain peak fitness at all ages in order to achieve maximal longevity.

Of course there is a cost to maintaining peak fitness. In my way of thinking, there needs to be standards of what is "good enough" so you know when you should start pushing clients/patients/parents/friends/siblings to make more effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:40 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

stuward wrote:
Quote:
The practical implications of this study are that individuals must strive to maintain peak fitness at all ages in order to achieve maximal longevity.

Of course there is a cost to maintaining peak fitness. In my way of thinking, there needs to be standards of what is "good enough" so you know when you should start pushing clients/patients/parents/friends/siblings to make more effort.

I tend to agree with that. Related to that, I wonder when heavy squatting is more bad than good

As far as being "arbitrary", I mean, I took a hand to get up. I think I get a 4.
If I were slimmer, had lower BP, or Triglycerides, would I get up with no hands? - or would it still be a coordiation and strength issue
I see the correlation if you have to go to all 4s first, or fall on the way down. So, I'll retract my comment, but imagine the correlation is much higher with lower scores, than between 4-5. ..
Hmmm. yea,h more I think about it, and strength it takes to use no hands, not just balance.. well, alright.

I should post less, not more, when tired and busy with work

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:02 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Great link thanks for posting.

Get Ups anyone?