ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Steroids
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:39 pm 

It can be beneficial if you have a muscle injury (depending on the type of injury) because is encourages muscle growth or healing. I can't see how it can help with any other soft tissue injury. Even for most muscle tears, I think the preferred "boost" for healing is GH and not test.

From what I understand, you are wasting an opportunity. If you have the test, I'd heal up and then hit the weights really hard and take them. You'll get max benefit then.

That's my 2 cents.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:35 pm 
Novice
Novice

hoosegow wrote:
It can be beneficial if you have a muscle injury (depending on the type of injury) because is encourages muscle growth or healing. I can't see how it can help with any other soft tissue injury. Even for most muscle tears, I think the preferred "boost" for healing is GH and not test.

From what I understand, you are wasting an opportunity. If you have the test, I'd heal up and then hit the weights really hard and take them. You'll get max benefit then.

That's my 2 cents.

Hoosegrow my first post came out wrong, I'v had the shoulder injury for ages its my shoulder blade and in and around the lateral of my anterior deltoid. I'v been trying to find out whats wrong with it for ages the main reason I wanted to go on a course was to get into better shape but was also hoping it might relieve a bit of pain by giving me a bit of lubrication. I can't completely stop training while I wait for months perhaps years on useless health professionals pulling the finger out and actually trying to find out what the problem is. I have added extra rear delt and rotator cuff work into my workouts. I cant do lateral or front raises as they hurt too much. But my push pull lifts are similar in weight. So I miffed on whats actually wrong...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:54 am 

First of all, anabolics won't "give you a bit of lubrication." That's goofy. They're anabolics, not glucocoricoids, and you are proposing taking them systemically, not injecting them into your joint or bursa.

Second, you are a long way from figuring out what the problem is. You may think you know more than all of those "useless health professionals", but I doubt it a lot. You need to find the right professional, not just self-medicate with drugs that you obviously know next to nothing about.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:14 am 

matthewmccaw wrote:
hoosegow wrote:

That's my 2 cents.

Hoosegrow my first post came out wrong, I'v had the shoulder injury for ages its my shoulder blade and in and around the lateral of my anterior deltoid. I'v been trying to find out whats wrong with it for ages the main reason I wanted to go on a course was to get into better shape but was also hoping it might relieve a bit of pain by giving me a bit of lubrication. I can't completely stop training while I wait for months perhaps years on useless health professionals pulling the finger out and actually trying to find out what the problem is. I have added extra rear delt and rotator cuff work into my workouts. I cant do lateral or front raises as they hurt too much. But my push pull lifts are similar in weight. So I miffed on whats actually wrong...

Have you worked through Eric Cressey's Shoulder Saver and Neanderthal No More series on T-Nation?

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:09 am 
Novice
Novice

Jungledoc I'm not saying all health care professionals are useless what I'm saying is the ones that I have been sent to are you have no idea the trouble I'v been through with them, Iv had one mri scan of my shoulder which I had to wait 6 months for that lasted roughly two minutes and have been waiting 5 months now for something else to be done. I don't think for 1 second that I know more than them I just think they'r not botherd about finding out. I think I'v had a weakness in that shoulder since I was a kid but the problem only started to really show itself when I was about a year into training. Yet again can I reiterate im not taking them for my shoulder I was just sort of hoping they might help as friends have told me that is helped them. Stu I'v read the articles on T-nation in the past but I think that the problem isnt so much in form or over use but more so an underlying injury/problem. I'v been training with a sore shoulder for around a year so a little bit more shouldnt make much difference.

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:44 pm 

Our health care future...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:13 am 

I'm sorry you're having this trouble. I don't think that anabolics will help you with the shoulder. In fact, if you are doing something that is causing the shoulder pain, and you do it stronger because of the steroids, it could get worse.

The specific articles that Stu mentioned are particularly good.