ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:35 pm 

Hi guys, do you know how to make Ezekiel bread? I found this in Bible:
Quote:
Now take wheat, barley, beans, lentils, millet and spelt; put them all in the same pot and make them into bread for yourself.

But how can those ingredients be turned into a bread in a pot?
Please, help me, I really want to try the bread they ate thousands of years ago. Just to see the difference between that and modern white bread. This really sounds like some meal or something... If we work together we can make it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:20 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

did you really get a recipe for bread from the bible?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:41 am 

What's the reference?

I have no idea how to turn those ingredients into bread, but I'd like to look at the passage in the Bible, and maybe do a little research on the passage.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:49 am 

Ezekiel 4-9.

It seems to me that the recipe was designed for a group of people that were going to be without much food and water for a long time so the had to get by on foods that were normally fed to their animals.

Quote:
Take thou also unto thee wheat, and barley, and beans, and lentiles, and millet, and fitches, and put them in one vessel, and make thee bread thereof, according to the number of the days that thou shalt lie upon thy side, three hundred and ninety days shalt thou eat thereof.

And thy meat which thou shalt eat shall be by weight, twenty shekels a day: from time to time shalt thou eat it.

Thou shalt drink also water by measure, the sixth part of an hin: from time to time shalt thou drink.

And thou shalt eat it as barley cakes, and thou shalt bake it with dung that cometh out of man, in their sight.

And the LORD said, Even thus shall the children of Israel eat their defiled bread among the Gentiles, whither I will drive them.

Then said I, Ah Lord GOD! behold, my soul hath not been polluted: for from my youth up even till now have I not eaten of that which dieth of itself, or is torn in pieces; neither came there abominable flesh into my mouth.

Then he said unto me, Lo, I have given thee cow's dung for man's dung, and thou shalt prepare thy bread therewith.

Moreover he said unto me, Son of man, behold, I will break the staff of bread in Jerusalem: and they shall eat bread by weight, and with care; and they shall drink water by measure, and with astonishment:

That they may want bread and water, and be astonied one with another, and consume away for their iniquity.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:22 am 

is it allowed to use yeast?

then u can mix yeast with a bit of water and mix it with all the things mentioned in the bible text. maybe mix it for 10 minutes, then put it 60 minutes in the refrigator. after this bake it at 175 degrees celsius or so for about 45 minutes or so. maybe also add some salt to it at mixing.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:32 pm 

ephs wrote:

then u can mix yeast with a bit of water and mix it with all the things mentioned in the bible text. maybe mix it for 10 minutes, then put it 60 minutes in the refrigator. after this bake it at 175 degrees celsius or so for about 45 minutes or so. maybe also add some salt to it at mixing.

You shouldn't need yeast. If you take all those grains and throw them in the same pot for over a year, they'll be fermented enough anyway, especially with the cow dung.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:42 pm 

stuward wrote:
ephs wrote:

You shouldn't need yeast. If you take all those grains and throw them in the same pot for over a year, they'll be fermented enough anyway, especially with the cow dung.

yes :grin: , but i'm talking of seriously making a bread out of this ingredients.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:50 pm 

ephs wrote:
stuward wrote:
ephs wrote:

yes :grin: , but i'm talking of seriously making a bread out of this ingredients.

I don't bake. I can make pie crust but you need lard for that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:58 pm 

stuward wrote:
I don't bake.

it's for sissies anyway

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:59 pm 

Doc's going to whomp yo ass.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:34 am 

Baking bread made of barley and spelt over a fire of cow patties (the original requirement was people patties) requires a degree of manhood of which you cannot but dream, oh Bobby Boy.

No, yeast is not on the list. I've now read this passage in several translations, and there's no yeast there.

Also note that the human dung is not in the list of ingredients. It is part of the baking instructions, with most translations rendering it something like "on human dung" or "over human dung". I'd think that the allowed substitution of cow dung for the human counterpart had it's practical side. Cow patties contain a lot of undigested grass fiber, and are known to burn well when old and dry. The people kind has very little fiber left in it, and I would suppose (having never tried it) makes poor fuel.

And, Ephs, even if you did add yeast, why would you put it in the fridge? You put bread in a warm place to rise before baking it. We rarely eat anything other than home-made bread, so this is part of our day-to-day routine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:48 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
And, Ephs, even if you did add yeast, why would you put it in the fridge? You put bread in a warm place to rise before baking it. We rarely eat anything other than home-made bread, so this is part of our day-to-day routine.

there are two kinds of yeast around, i don't know if it's the same in the united states or where you live atm (no offense, we have just so many things around about bread in germany). one kind of yeast is instantly ready to be used after mixing the paste and the other one needs time, so the paste gets a bit bigger and in this time i would put the paste in the fridge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:47 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Jungledoc wrote:
The people kind has very little fiber left in it, and I would suppose (having never tried it) makes poor fuel.

It's alright for bar-b-que, like a pig roast.
A bit sweeter than natural wood smoke.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:17 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Jungledoc wrote:
The people kind has very little fiber left in it, and I would suppose (having never tried it) makes poor fuel.

It's alright for bar-b-que, like a pig roast.
A bit sweeter than natural wood smoke.

you heard it here first folks. If Oscar invites you to a BBQ at his house, decline.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:57 pm 

Believe it or not, I actually prefer the natural wood smoke.