ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32
PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:31 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've been very frustrated lately.

Lots of stuff hurts. My knee is better, but my body is really out of whack from being hurt so long. My shoulder is worse than it's been in the past. My hip hurts from getting pulled. It seems like I can't go a week without something hurting.

I also feel weak. I know my absolute weight-moving strength in the gym has gone up, but mostly it's a matter of increased lifting expertise. I'm just not as able to carry heavy stuff, help people move, tote bales, etc. A good portion of this feeling is injuries, but I feel like weights can help fix that.

My body fat has also crept up, slowly. I never had abs (and don't care if I do) but I miss being fairly lean. I'm hardly fat, but by the standards I used to compete at, I'm not in a happy place and carry too much stuff I don't need.

I've also been busy, and my schedule makes it impossible to do MMA more than once a week.

On bright point, really, is that I use what I've got much better. I've had people tell me I feel stronger doing MMA, because I'm just using what I have more effectively. But I'd like some muscle mass to back that up, because I like how I look and feel with a little more muscle.

So here is my plan going forward:

- I'm going to focus on strength and muscle mass. I want to get back to a baseline feeling of strength. Secondarily, I want to ensure I keep a baseline of cardio so I can roll for 90 minutes each Saturday without being wrecked. To do this, I'm going to do a workout based on Paul Carter's Strong-15 approach.

- I'm going to try to lean out.

- I can't get to MMA more than once a week, so I'm going to focus on lifting to get to my goal. I can get to the gym 6 days a week, if necessary, because I work in a gym. I'll be lifting 3x a week for most of the year.

- I'm going to assiduously avoid injury through careful lifting and training - in fact, I'm setting my goal weights so stupidly low it's funny to write them down. All I care about is getting my baseline, every day, walking around strength up, regardless of how the numbers look or feel. My goal will be to get the most value out of the lighter weights I'm doing.

I don't think these goals are contradictory, except maybe "don't get hurt" and "do MMA." But with proper periodization I should be able to get this done.

So that's what you will see going forward in my workout log.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:01 pm 

Forgot to post my ridiculously low initial training maxes:

Squat 195
Press 105 (incorrectly put 115 originally)
Deadlift 225

See, ridiculously low. All stuff I could probably get tomorrow, especially the DL. But better to aim low and demolish the weights and get really good at the exercises again than to aim too high and miss.

Last edited by pdellorto on Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:15 pm 

Get those weights, be able to get them consistently, then increase volume to build work capacity and you're way stronger and more fit than 98% of people walking around!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:56 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Get those weights, be able to get them consistently, then increase volume to build work capacity and you're way stronger and more fit than 98% of people walking around!

That's what I am hoping. I figure, I'll lose more by aiming too high than by aiming too low and stomping the weights flat.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 pm 

Oops, listed my press training max 10 pound too high, so I fixed it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:26 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Have you tried ear plugs to solve the baby crying issue Peter?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:43 pm 

Proper Knob wrote:
Have you tried ear plugs to solve the baby crying issue Peter?

It's been suggested to me before. But I find I don't sleep well with them in.

He's starting, finally, to cry a bit less. But man, my sleep was terrible for a while.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:26 pm 

Well, he'll start sleeping through the night. Then in a few years you'll be awake all night worrying if he's safe, or about the life choices he's making.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:02 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Well, he'll start sleeping through the night. Then in a few years you'll be awake all night worrying if he's safe, or about the life choices he's making.

Not too worried - it's the neighbor's kid, not mine. My worry will be his friends hanging around on the steps smoking. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:20 am 

Spoke too soon - man, did he wake up and cry a lot last night. My sleep was really erratic and not-restful.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:20 am 

Haha! I haven't been following your life too closely for a while, so I just assumed you and the new wife... well, you know. I'll save the parenting comments until they are actually needed!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:58 pm 

Jungledoc wrote:
Haha! I haven't been following your life too closely for a while, so I just assumed you and the new wife... well, you know. I'll save the parenting comments until they are actually needed!

Yeah, not yet. Our new downstairs neighbors beat us to it. It would easier if he were ours - it's kind of bad because if he's having teething issues or didn't get his nap or something, we don't know. We find out during the night when he cries.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 477 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32