ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:06 am 
former lurker

Hello. I've been following the low-volume, high-intensity workout recommended on this page. So far the results have been great, although i've been training for too little time to have more definite results.

My question is about overtraining. I lift 3 times a week, always with a day of rest in between. That is training on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Have the weekends off also.

I do 1 or 2 exercises for each muscle (mostly 1), with a warm-up set, and maybe 1 or 2 workout sets for each muscle. I always keep my training under 1 hr (including warm up)

Should I space out my training days more, or is this OK? In the beginning, I do feel a little soreness on a Wednesday on some muscles, if I trained on a Monday for example. So I just lift lighter on "sore" days, but lift anyways.

Is this routine gonna make me overtrain at some point?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:30 am 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

@lamole365:

Do you work out at the same intensity (heavy) during the three weekly workouts, or do you use a heavy/light/medium scheme?

If you work out hard three times a week, it's guaranteed that you will overtrain eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:54 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

lamole365 wrote:
Is this routine gonna make me overtrain at some point?

It's not inherently going to make you overtrain. I wouldn't worry about it - for now, just concentrate on working hard, progressing - putting more weight on the bar, with good exercise form, and keep going until the gains dry up.

Once that happens, you'll need to change your routine, but it won't automatically mean you are overtrained.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:50 am 

absolutely not. 3 workouts a week causing overtraining? Madness.

maybe if you trained 7 days a week, twice a day then you might come close to overtraining, but even then it's unlikely

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:21 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

You know you've overtrained when you experience the symptoms, the most important of which is that you get weaker. Usually it's not just one bad day but a consistent downturn. You also feel like crap and mentally find yourself dreading the gym.

If that's not happening you are not overtrained. As long as your numbers are going up you are not close to overtraining.

You don't say you are a beginner, but on the assumption that you are not a 10 year veteran I'd suggest that instead of worrying about overtraining you look at a good diet of no processed foods and solid sleep habits.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:30 pm 

I don't know.... I would go for under recovering.

I know a group of powerlifters, ages vary from 30 to late 60's. Full body 3 times per week... decades of it. The guy in his late 60's still squats 500lbs. One competes in worlds level comps. They're all stronger than me, all train mon-wed-fri.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:36 pm 

overtraining schmovertraining. Eat more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 2:04 pm 
former lurker

Thanks, excellent advise, everyone.

Yes, I am a beginner. I began training with this routine, eating healthily but abundantly 5 or 6 times a day, and I was packing 2 pounds a week. Gained 12 pounds in 6 weeks (No protein supplements whatsoever). I unfortunately had to stop training because of exams/projects at architecture school, but now I'm back. In the beginning it's all about discipline and pushing yourself even if you don't wanna do it. But after a short while it becomes a necessity. Lifting is awesome, healthy exercise.

I'll be posting about awesome results soon, thanks to all.