ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:13 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

We had a mock comp at the gym. It was something to see.

Saw one of our trainers bench 425lbs. This was the first time I've seen a human being I actually know bench over 400. He also has what can only be called the perfect squat form. It's really impossible to describe, some kind of Platonic ideal.

Another guy deadlifted 685, that's 7 plates with an extra five on each side. That was really something to see. Same guy squatted 630 made it look so easy I thought he was going to do a jump squat.

For myself I totaled 950, down 35 from November but I had trained to peak for November. Attempts were:

Squat: 285, 300, 325
Bench: 205, 215, 215
Dead: 385, 415, 435

We're doing it again next year, but next year it will be (we hope) a USAPL sanctioned meet at a local Holiday Inn.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:48 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Nice.

I think it's important for a lifter who wants to get stronger to see, in person, some monstrous weights being lifted.

I'll never forget a few years ago when a PLifter in my gym spotted me deadlifting, started chatting, and invited me to the club to train the next night. I had just hit a PB of 150KG. As soon as I walked in, one of the lifters was just starting a triple with 250kg. It was real iron plates, not rubber coated, and the noise they made when they crashed into the floor was amazing.

Then I pulled 160KG from a 1 inch deficit, despite getting my earlier PB the night before and still hurting from that. I had never seen one other person deadlift in my gym before this. It just instantly broke down mental limitations I didn't even know I had.

Some of the best progress I made after this was when a strongman/highland games/powerlifter started working in my gym as general manager. I trained with him. I would be struggling away with 180-190KG and he would be struggling away with 280-290kg.

Actually witnessing those weights being lifted gives you serious motivation. I also remember going to see a competition. I was all ready to compete but just wanted to see a comp before applying. Had no injuries or anything to use as an excuse, and among seeing a few of the strongest PL's in britain lift, I also seen a woman squat and deadlift 190KG, and bench 110KG. It was geared but, still, since I was nipping at her heels, I (and my then training partner) decided to hold off competing until we were stronger, which I realise now was a very bad move and a poor attitude.

You're always going to come across guys (or girls) like this, at 62-63, practically never been on the internet and almost unheard of, hitting a double with 227.5 kg http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqVK0qfBjZc

My ultimate training goal is to still be lifting that big at that age (of course, I need to be lifting "that big" first, but i'll get there).

Is your next competition in November, then?

I've done an awesome job of the peaking thing, almost burning out in week 3 when i'm supposed to in week 6! A few days going a little easier combined with some serious food intake has got us back on track though. It's all a learning experience after all!

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:08 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

KPj wrote:
Is your next competition in November, then?

I get the feeling the November meet will not be repeated.

If I make the 3rd Sunday of January my annual meet, it could be a disaster, what with the holidays and all.

The other option is a nearby meet that is held in April each year. I'm really not sure.

For now I'm talking with my trainer about preparing for a January meet in one year. This will give us time to examine foundations and lay a lot of groundwork without the pressure of chasing a number and a date.