ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:43 pm 
Novice
Novice

robertscott wrote:
led7x wrote:
So this is what I came up with

Upper A (Horizontal Push/pull):
-Dumbbell press
-Dumbbell flys
-Dumbbell rows variations
-Pushups Variations

Lower A:
- Squats
- Deadlifts
-Good mornings
-Abs

Upper B (Vertical push/pull):
-Pull ups variations
-Overhead shoulder press
-Inverted rows
-Dips

Lower B:
-Squats
-Deadlift
-Lunges
-Abs

I need some exercises for vertical push/pull and here to dips belong and what about repetitions?

you could put in dips on Upper Day B. Inverted rows would work well here too. A good rule of thumb is to balance presses and pulls, so maybe add some face pulls to Upper A.

add another hamstring exercise to Lower A and another quad exercise to Lower B.

I modified it,I found many variations for every exercise so it wont get monotonous; what about reps an sets? I know its best to go with 8-12reps, but how many sets? Is exercise order important?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:17 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

led7x wrote:
robertscott wrote:
led7x wrote:
So this is what I came up with

Upper A (Horizontal Push/pull):
-Dumbbell press
-Dumbbell flys
-Dumbbell rows variations
-Pushups Variations

Lower A:
- Squats
- Deadlifts
-Good mornings
-Abs

Upper B (Vertical push/pull):
-Pull ups variations
-Overhead shoulder press
-Inverted rows
-Dips

Lower B:
-Squats
-Deadlift
-Lunges
-Abs

I need some exercises for vertical push/pull and here to dips belong and what about repetitions?

you could put in dips on Upper Day B. Inverted rows would work well here too. A good rule of thumb is to balance presses and pulls, so maybe add some face pulls to Upper A.

add another hamstring exercise to Lower A and another quad exercise to Lower B.

I modified it,I found many variations for every exercise so it wont get monotonous; what about reps an sets? I know its best to go with 8-12reps, but how many sets? Is exercise order important?

3-5 sets per exercise, whatever rep range you want. 8-12 is fine. The rep range isn't important, it's progression that matters. Say one week you can lift a weight 8 times, next time you want to either get more reps at the same weight or 8 reps at a higher weight.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:11 pm 

You'll only know what's best for you as an individual as you gain experience. You will try different methods and approaches, and you will develop your own ideas as to what is best.

Full body works well for many people. Upper/lower works well for many. There are lots of variations of each of those.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:46 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

this is embarrassing

All these 20 cent answers for a 5 Cent problem
Remember how this is simple (see Hoose post)

Hey, what's it my worry. Good point.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:17 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
this is embarrassing

yes, the ongoing battles about no isolation vs. isolation and strength training vs. bodybuilding etc. hijack every thread. it should be clear that nobody comes up with 8-12 reps for main lifts or zercher squats, if the OP wants to set his focus on increasing strength.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:59 am 

The most important thing for a beginner is consistency.

Nothing else actually matters. You can think of the worse program you can come up with. If you do it consistently and get better at it, your physique will improve.

No split covers every muscle perfectly.

No training program will cause every muscle on your body to grow evenly.

You can't achieve perfection in one training program, or one training year, or even one training decade, so don't worry about making things perfect. Just make things better than they currently are.

Just get in and lift, consistently, get better, and make a conscious effort to eat more. I guarantee 2-3 months of this, and your original question will be much easier to answer (if you even need to ask it again). And you'll make progress.

KPj

p.s The only people I struggle to get this message across to are young beginner males. They are actually the reason i've started saying this. If I get asked about another crazy supplement i've never heard of by someone who doesn't "train", or my opinion on some awkard forearm curl variation and the likes, i'll explode.

I actually prefer training women and older adults, they don't have their heads filled with the same nonsense.

p.p.s Meant in the nicest possible way. I've been on the same boat as said young adult males.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:39 am 

ephs wrote:
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
this is embarrassing

yes, the ongoing battles about no isolation vs. isolation and strength training vs. bodybuilding etc. hijack every thread. it should be clear that nobody comes up with 8-12 reps for main lifts or zercher squats, if the OP wants to set his focus on increasing strength.

you're the worst poster we've had on this site in years. If your 8RM goes up, you've gotten stronger, just like if your 5RM goes up, or your 3RM or whatever. Can you really not understand that? You honestly think adding a couple more reps makes your body suddenly switch from strength mode to mass mode? What a chump.

Also, LOL at you telling anyone about how to be strong...

We've had some bad posters on this site before, but at least they've been interesting. I could almost handle your parroted dogma if it wasn't so boring. Take whatever dogmatic crap you've gleaned from the starting strength wiki and shove it up your hypertrophy starved arse.

Maybe I'll get lucky and you'll fall down a well. You won't be able to climb out as you don't train a vertical pull and have mimsy little lats.

Until then, you are the second ever poster to make it to my ignore list.

You sir, are an idiot. Good day.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:48 am 

We need to make our points without getting personal.

For the first time in my moderator career I'm proud to say:

We're locked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Congrats on your first lock. That's exactly what was needed here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:54 pm 

Thanks, IM. I just discovered that we can post on locked topics!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5