ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:42 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

awesome interview with Dorian. It's pretty long, and there's some bad language, but he speaks frankly about topics a lot of bodybuilders avoid

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:24 am 

When I started training my original training partner was/is one of closest friends. Gradually, there were a group of us - another friend would join, then another, then another. There would be anywhere from 4-6 people training all the time. All but one beginner (who is still a regular training partner) quit, eventually.

Now, I actually LOVE training myself. However, when we had our little training crew, and especially when this strongman/powerlifter joined it, I seen the value in training with others. The technique feed back, the coaching cues, accountability, etc. Also, being riled when some of the others were being annoying, mostly because I wasn't quite in the zone and they would purposely get under my skin - you need that!

Anyway, 6 became 5, then 4, 3, 2..... For a while 1, but that beginner didn't quit, e immersed himself in Thai Boxing. Now it's boxing, but he's back training 4 x/week with me, too, so he can't really be lumped into the same category as the others.

I guess since i'm nearly 30 I reflect a lot more. Also, I can see another training crew forming. Made a client a training partner, then this 17 year old with freak strength and determination (seriously!), and another 17 year old competitive boxer. So, i'm back up to 2-4 anytime I train.

So, one of the original beginners who fell by the wayside, naturally, I'm pestering him to come back. Saying it's just like before. He had a lot of potential, he got stronger and put some size on pretty quickly. Couldn't believe he eventually quit. Anyway, he, and the other quitters are obsessed now with none other than Black Ops.

For the last 2-3 months, he's been saying he's had to work late, not really had time, too tired, etc. Then, recently he showed me the new black ops and pulled up his stats.

Since it came out, in November 6th (i think), he's played it for 2 and a half weeks. WEEKS. There's 168 hours in 1 week. 2 weeks is 336 hours. Lets call the total 420 hours.

If he trained 4 x per week, 1 hour each session, every week from November to the end of this month, that's 12 hours.

So, he can find 420 hours to play black ops, but not 12 hours to go make himself better, over a 3 hour period.

Lost cause?

Talk about putting things into perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:16 pm 

KPj wrote:
So, he can find 420 hours to play black ops, but not 12 hours to go make himself better, over a 3 hour period.

Did you put it to him that way?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:34 am 

4:20

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:00 am 

:laughing3:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:14 am 

that's probably the number one reason why I hear people say they won't go to the gym; that they don't have time.

If people really can't spare 3 hours a week then they're working too hard.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:53 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I got stapled on bench on Thursday. Has never actually happened to me, since I use rails or a spotter.

And it was 145 pounds! OK, it was the second set of 10 doing BBB after two big singles near 95%. But it was a big surprise when I failed rep 10 and found the bar on my chest saying, "uh, help!" Sam jumped over and grabbed the bar and said, "on 3 push" and I said, "It's all you Sam I've got nothing!"

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:11 am 

I stapled myself before too. No one was in the gym to help me get it off either. I had to roll it down my body to my thighs then stand up with it.

I'm glad no one saw it. Ended up with big bruises down my ribs and hips

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:30 am 

If you haven't, you're not trying hard enough. That's how you learn how far you can go without a spotter. Better your ribs and hips than your neck!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:53 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

KenDowns wrote:
"on 3 push" and I said, "It's all you Sam I've got nothing!"

you may need a differnt spotter. Someone who can 145# would be a good start.

Jungledoc wrote:
If you haven't, you're not trying hard enough.

Afraid you might be serious

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:40 am 

I've almost gave up on my weight belt for deadlifts.

I like it for squats but I hate it for deadlifts. I'm trying to be patient, try different positions etc but i'm quite close to just remaining a beltless-deadlifter.

Also, flat footed paused bench presses suck.

That is all.

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:47 am 

I bet your belt is too low. Try the Spud Inc. belts. They are soft.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:09 am 

I'll look into the Spud Inc belts. I bought a 10mm belt which is a little softer than the solid 13mm one's that we're allowed. I was told they're easier to get used to than the 13mm one's, and if I liked the 10mm, then get a 13mm, too. I've never used a belt before so thought the thinner one would be a safer bet to start with.

I love it on squats, actually can't wait to try a 13mm belt. On Deadlifts, they make me want to round my back into the belt. I've heard of "leaning too much into the belt" and I think this is what I have going on.

It feels a little better if I put it higher on my midsesction, like Konstantin Konstantinov.

It's a slight dilemma. Basically the belt changes my technique and this is screwing with me a little. It makes me think, "it wasn't broke, so why am I trying to fix it?". However it also makes sense that if I can just get comfortable with it, I should get a little more out of it like I do the squat...

KPj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:57 pm 

Embarrassing fat bodies on channel4 is making me want to cry myself to sleep. Highlights include being told not enough protein causes muscle to turn to fat and ditch butter for margarine, full fat for skimmed milk so bad cholesterol doesn't clog arteries. Maybe another 50 years we may have progress.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:03 am 

Nevage wrote:
Embarrassing fat bodies on channel4 is making me want to cry myself to sleep. Highlights include being told not enough protein causes muscle to turn to fat and ditch butter for margarine, full fat for skimmed milk so bad cholesterol doesn't clog arteries. Maybe another 50 years we may have progress.

I watched that show until they showed a lady with a vaginal prolapse. Never again.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 236, 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242 ... 265  Next