ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:25 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I got my second recent client direct from a near by crossfit gym a month ago. I won't get my hopes up but so far the gym is good for business. The 2 that have came to me basically got hurt, asked around, looking for someone that does something similar (free weights) and have been referred to me, since i'm known for my use of freeweights as well as dealing with people in pain.

Anyway, the new girl, who at the ripe old age of 20 has been dealing with lower back pain is now pain free. After 4 weeks. She never had any pain in any session in the gym with me. She's also got leaner (she was already lean, so you can see it already), stronger, and feels better. She's excited about getting stronger. She understands technique and feels really confident in her ability now.

I like to be diplomatic with things like this. I don't like to criticise. However when she told me lastnight that she'd had no pain at all this week, then added that she's "not doing Crossfit at all anymore" (I never told her not to do it, btw), I said, "sometimes it's not about what you add but, what you remove". She said, "listen to you, trying hard not to say anything bad about crossfit".

Well, she got it in one.

I'm going for the more brutally honest approach now, what's the point in beating around the bush? I forget i'm at a stage now where I can say, "My results speak for themselves". I've tried to see the good in it but I'm fed up trying.

Camaraderie is a poor excuse for it. Maybe my standards are higher but, to me it's completely unacceptable for the average joe to get hurt whilst being trained by a Trainer. Why have a trainer if you just get hurt? What do you pay for then? I totally sympathise with the average joe figuring things out all by themselves and developing some aches and pains, but if you train under an alleged professional, who is supposed to care about your well being, there is no excuse whatsoever to get hurt.

As a trainer I can honestly say it's not difficult to get someone leaner and fitter without hurting them. If something hurts, you just don't do it! It's that simple. If technique breaks down, you stop the set? I don't get the problem.

If you want Camaraderie, go to Zumba or Body pump, or even better, go to any kind of traditional circuit training, which is all CF is - circuit training, with added insanity. "Camaraderie" can't justify it any more. Weight Watchers has great "Camaraderie". It's not new and it's not exclusive and it's not justification to do stupid stuff.

I'm done.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:53 am 

From your last rant, you might find the following interesting reading:
http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5075&start=32125

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:12 am 

some of this is pretty funny

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:46 am 

hoosegow wrote:
From your last rant, you might find the following interesting reading:
http://irongarmx.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5075&start=32125

I started reading it and was thinking how lame it was until I got down to Dan John's post.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:10 am 

Interesting.

This is good, too, from an actual affiliate. Basically saying it's ok as long as long as you warn people that in order to get really fit and lean, you need to get injured.

http://breakingmuscle.com/crossfit/it-s ... going-hurt

It's just starting to get popular in my area, hence the rants.

Also, because of CF, I cringe when I hear "Paleo". That never used to happen.

Lastly, i've never programmed a Burpee. Just throwing that in. I don't think Burpees can ever look kool.

CF is to fitness what Scientology is to Religion (I never made this up, it's paraphrased, but it's so true)

KPj

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 3:19 pm 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:34 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I think german articles are quite simple. The only problem is to know what word uses what article.
In a related note, how about finnish? Deutsch is supersimple compared to that

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:44 pm 

yeah, finnish is more difficult, cause it's an uralic language. for you deutsch could be quite easy, but most foreign people, who i know, also find deutsch very difficult.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:49 am 

What? Are we playing "my language is harder than your language"?

If we played "my language is easier than your language" those of us who speak Melanesian Pidgin have y'all beat. No verb tenses, very limited vocabulary, much of it derived from English. However, it's pretty hard to express abstract matters with any specificity. We do have 2 articles, singular and pleural, but you usually don't need to use them!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:49 am 

we are not playing it, i just saw the pic, cause a friend posted it from 9gag.com on facebook

so, you can understand the language only by being able to understand english?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:23 pm 

Oh, no. That's the mistake a lot of newcomers make; because they hear lots of familiar-sounding words they feel like they are understanding, but when it comes down to it. Even words derived from English sometimes have meanings that are subtly or not-so-subtly different than the meaning of the English word. But people who are willing to sincerely try can be having simple conversations very quickly. I've had volunteer doctors learn enough from simple handouts I've given them and maybe practicing over a weekend to be able to take a simple medical history in their first few days at our hospital.

One of the funniest things that we encounter (and I suspect that you may see this in any country) is Americans who seem to think that they can make themselves understood by speaking English loudly and slowly. When they get no response they repeat even louder and slower. By the third time around (when everyone in the building has heard) I step into the exam room and say, "Excuse me, but I don't think this person understands English. May I help you find your translator?"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 4:27 am 

could you estimate how many % of the words are equal?

funny story with the american repeating the sentence again and again :grin:.

i know a guy who married a german woman, but he doesn't give a fv(k, if you understand him or not, he keeps on speaking his pensylvania american english all the time. sometimes it's a bit hard to understand, cause he speaks very fast and inarticulate.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:04 am 

That's kind of funny considering a fair number of people speak German in PA. ... Only English and Spanish are more commonly spoken, although admitedly there are probably some minor differences between the German spoken in Germany and the Pennsylvania German spoken by the Amish/Mennonites/Brethren here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:33 am 

yeah, but the german from the amish is a mix of "germlish" and a hard german accent. but i think, i could communicate with them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:09 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

We're supposed to get nailed with a big blizzard tomorrow night.

With the memories of how things began to fall apart after Sandy, people have decided there is a gas shortage and have started lining up.

Arg!! Friday morning is normally when I gas up and who knows what I'll find tomorrow. Hopefully it will all blow over by Saturday or Sunday and be back to normal.

But like I always say, if you can't get gas, there are usually more important things to worry about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3963 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 237, 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243 ... 265  Next