ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:51 am 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:03 am
Posts: 56
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Hello everyone. When it rains it pours, first last week I had cut the inside of my middle finger directly on the joint. This made it really hard to hold on to the bar to do my pullups so I had to chill for awhile before I posted my beginning score. I also went to the doctor this past tuesday. My physical went fine except for he felt a slight bulge when he did the hernia check! He said it could be the beginning of a inguinal hernia, but he said to keep up the good work exercising. :eek: He said something similar happend to him and 8 years after the doctor told him about his buldge he had the hernia. Hmmm. Wednesday I completed my workout in which my favorite exercise (deadlifts) were completed. Later on Wednesday evening I felt pressure in my scrotum, sack, whatever you choose to call it. I felt as though I was fine until he told me that I may develop a hernia. Is this psychosomatic? I've dropped my deadlifts from my workout sheet and replaced the whole day with auxillary exercises. Is this overkill?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:05 pm 
Offline
Site Admin
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:40 am
Posts: 3986
Yes, it is psychosomatic. When I had a hernia, if it was even brought up, I thought I felt something. Mine was just bulging out of that little weak spot in the lower abdomen, it didn't go in my scrotum at all. If I was thinking about it, I would feel something there, but when I checked, there was nothing there that wasn't supposed to be there. I would imagine that happens to every man that gets one of those.

I had my hernia for years, it never gave me any trouble. Eventually you have to get it fixed though. My very experienced vascular surgeon was rather shocked by the size, one of the biggest he had seen. It was about this time last year I had it done. I got the double sided patch. That is what you need if it's at all big and you want to lift weights.

It will probably be years before you have to mess with it. Just keep lifting like normal. If and when it gets worse, just schedule a surgery. So the worst thing that's going to happen, is it gets a lot bigger and you have to schedule a surgery within the next few months or so. As long as it will push back in or it goes in on it's own when you lay down, you are fine. If it gets stuck, you have to go to the hospital for emergency surgery, but that's very unlikely even if it's utterly massive like mine was.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:19 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
you people need to quit going to the doctors
Until last november, I had never been diagnosed with high blood presure, among other metabolic syndrome issues.

sorry if you came herre thinking I was gonig to be the one with a real useful answer.
I do empathize with psycosamicism.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:44 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice

Joined: Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:04 pm
Posts: 56
I would add that a hernia that extends into your scrotum is in fact more serious then one that doesnt bulge into it, so be careful. Also any serious, unexpected sustained constipation and that sort of thing, go to the doctor.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:09 pm 
Offline
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:20 pm
Posts: 4424
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
you people need to quit going to the doctors
Until last november, I had never been diagnosed with high blood presure, among other metabolic syndrome issues.

sorry if you came herre thinking I was gonig to be the one with a real useful answer.
I do empathize with psycosamicism.


doctor saved my life. Damn appendix tried to end me


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:38 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
robertscott wrote:
doctor saved my life. Damn appendix tried to end me


See, now that's when you go.
I sliced my head open and a finger and went both times for stitches
Going when you have a baby is good idea as well.
And take your kids to see one 'cause they dont know enough to get worried

But what's the point of going just to find out you have some problem that might lead to something, maybe. Just gives you somethin to worry about. I'd rather die worry free at 52 than deal with all the drama until I'm 79.

:diabloanifire:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 5:53 pm 
Offline
Novice
Novice
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 22, 2008 12:03 am
Posts: 56
Location: Newport News, Virginia
Ironman wrote:
Yes, it is psychosomatic. When I had a hernia, if it was even brought up, I thought I felt something. Mine was just bulging out of that little weak spot in the lower abdomen, it didn't go in my scrotum at all. If I was thinking about it, I would feel something there, but when I checked, there was nothing there that wasn't supposed to be there. I would imagine that happens to every man that gets one of those.

I had my hernia for years, it never gave me any trouble. Eventually you have to get it fixed though. My very experienced vascular surgeon was rather shocked by the size, one of the biggest he had seen. It was about this time last year I had it done. I got the double sided patch. That is what you need if it's at all big and you want to lift weights.

It will probably be years before you have to mess with it. Just keep lifting like normal. If and when it gets worse, just schedule a surgery. So the worst thing that's going to happen, is it gets a lot bigger and you have to schedule a surgery within the next few months or so. As long as it will push back in or it goes in on it's own when you lay down, you are fine. If it gets stuck, you have to go to the hospital for emergency surgery, but that's very unlikely even if it's utterly massive like mine was.


Thanks everyone, especially Ironman. My biggest fear was that I would not be able to train hard. I have a goal that one day I will be able to devote more time to. This made me fearful that my amateur bodybuilding dream would be just a dream. Thanks all!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:11 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6414
Location: Halifax, NS
Oscar_Actuary wrote:
robertscott wrote:
doctor saved my life. Damn appendix tried to end me


See, now that's when you go.
I sliced my head open and a finger and went both times for stitches
Going when you have a baby is good idea as well.
And take your kids to see one 'cause they dont know enough to get worried

But what's the point of going just to find out you have some problem that might lead to something, maybe. Just gives you somethin to worry about. I'd rather die worry free at 52 than deal with all the drama until I'm 79.

:diabloanifire:



Oscar "Warren Zevon" Actuary

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:42 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
is that a Wearwolves of London reference, or something about not going to doctors.
I have to look him up now

:cool:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:57 pm 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:44 pm
Posts: 6414
Location: Halifax, NS
Look for his last David Letterman interview.

_________________
Stu Ward
_________________
Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food.~Hippocrates
Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley
_________________
Thanks TimD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:02 pm 
Offline
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:12 pm
Posts: 2406
yes I will.
I just got thru the wikipedia and am headed home. I need to stop working late on Fridays.
I saw where his dentist gave him the prompting to see a doctor - so.. . eh.... we're not exactly alike. :)

thank you for the info. You always provide me material of interest.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Checkup Scare!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:58 am 
Offline
moderator
moderator
User avatar

Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:11 am
Posts: 7503
Location: Kudjip, Papua New Guinea
And, besides. Some of us aren't as scary as you expect.

_________________
Our greatest fear should not be of failure, but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.--Francis Chan


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 


All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot], Google [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group