I`m new to this forum, so I will start with some information on my person...
I`m 41 years old, (1,83m, 75kg) and have been doing sport since I was a kid. The last 25 years I played Volleyball. I startet with strength-training 1,5 years ago, because of some minor issues with my lower back and knees - fortunately nothing serious but I took it as a signal to work on that (and "strong" is not the adjective that comes to my mind when to describe myself
I startet with the following workout (with 3 Sets/20Reps each, always going to 4 an 5 Sets before increasing the load; with lever or cable machines): a 10min. warm-up, Leg press, Pull down, Standing Row, Dips, Reverse Chest Fly (Pec Dec), Crunches (3 - 6 Sets, 20 Reps) and stretching. This was given to me by a physio, after he did a check-up with me.
Because I liked the training a lot, and because the Physio said I`m healthy enough to do "everything I like to", I began to develop my workout step by step all by myself and today it is like the following (Exercise, load, sets, reps):
- 10 min. warm-up
- Barbell Squats, 65kg, 3, 20
- Barbell Deadlift, 24kg, 3, 20
- Cable Standing Chest Press, 63kg, 3, 20
- Cable Standing Row, 63kg, 3, 20
- Pull down, 39kg, 3, 20
- Barbell Military Press, 14kg, 3, 20
- Barbell Upright Row, 20kg, 3, 20
- Lever Triceps Dips, 60kg, 3, 20
- Crunches (several variations) 6 Sets, 20 Reps
I do this on Monday and Wednesday (Thursday, I play Volleyball). I don`t take any shakes or anything else, I try to eat healthy. I lost 3kg bodyweight since I began and the body looks better trained and more muscular than before.
My goals are:
- staying healthy, balancing out my muscular dysbalances, achieve a better posture
- building up core strength
- keep a rather slender physique instead of building masses of muscle... like looking normal in clothes but looking muscular without them.
My questions are:
1. Does the workout have some (serious?) flaws?
2. The workout has developed over the past 1,5 years (that`s the reason I included the actual loads) and some exercises are quite new in my workout and I startet (again) with a small load. On which exercises shall I concentrate to keep up a proper balance?
3. Is it advisable or preferable to change the Cable Chest Press and the Cable Row into the Barbell-Versions (Bent-over Row and Bench Press)?
Anything else I forgot?
Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for your advice and tips!