ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:03 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:37 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Plus, from a hypertrophy point of view, you could get in more frequency if you would do chest+bicep / back + tricep. You would work your guns more often due to muscle group and movement selection, which would get us to that super compensation model more easily. So it wouldn't necessarily be a bad idea.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:15 pm 
Novice
Novice

Okay then I understand what hinging and carrying are now, what is the value of them?

Yeah the split means biceps and triceps get hit twice a week, it also allows me to fully assess how strong they are for there size, allowing me to progress to a size/strength I'm more content with.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:30 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

stharrison wrote:
Okay then I understand what hinging and carrying are now, what is the value of them?

:scratch:

Functional Strength
Practicing things that emulate real life movements so those real life movements are easier
Real life movements are performed safely
to help avoid injuries while doing those real life things
to make your significant other go 'crazy in the pants' when you hinge to scoop him/her up and carry them to the bed
being able to lift and relocate heavy things such as tools, moving boxes, furniture, tree trunk sections, etc. without busting your baby maker...

...should I continue?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:27 pm 

stharrison wrote:

What's the value of any of this?

That's the most surprising question I've ever seen on this forum.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:51 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

a question so incredible it brought jlmoss out of hibernation
I was having trouble forming an answer that was both useful and not condescending

Reminds me of this guy at work they're trying to have me "manage" It's my new incentive to get my accredidations - to be a manager
I'll practice the serenity prayer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:36 pm 
Novice
Novice

thing is, i've asked stupid questions before that one, and i will probably carry on doing, gotta learn somehow.

and yeah, i know see the value, unfortunately there is no kettle bells in my gym.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:08 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

stharrison wrote:
thing is, i've asked stupid questions before that one

Please feel free to ask away

"The only stupid question is the one not asked"
-Albert Einstein

EDIT

Ironman wrote:
People seem to be worried that they are asking "stupid" questions. Sure you should read the stickies and use the search. But feel free to ask anything. There is no flaming allowed here. So you don't have to worry about that. Stupid would be not asking and just continuing to do it wrong

Good luck, and happy training

Last edited by Stephen Johnson on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:58 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people"
- Mr Garrison

seriously, at work, I'm never afraid to look stupid to find out what I need to know. In life I have found out many folk had no clue, so they stayed quiet and were glad I asked.

on the other hand, in the google era, society is expecting we take a little time to check into simple ideas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:35 am 

stharrison wrote:
thing is, i've asked stupid questions before that one, and i will probably carry on doing, gotta learn somehow.

I didn't say, and I don't think anyone else said that it was a stupid question. I said that it was a surprising question. It stunned me to think that you have probably been doing a number of exercises that fall into these two categories, probably doing them for some time, and are only now asking about their value.

I'm sorry that I commented on this rather than just giving a direct answer to your question.

Carrying is a basic human activity. Everything from hauling your suitcases to check-in at the airport, to bringing in the groceries to moving small children around, we all carry. Most carrying involves a higher proportion of stabilization to primary movement. The two weight-room lifts that come immediately to mind in this category are the farmer's walk (walking with load in the hand(s) at the side(s), and the waiter's carry (walking with a weight overhead, almost always one-handed), but many lifts have elements of the carry (grip, load stabilization, movement with the weight). Deadlift, RDL, lunges all come to mind.

Hinging is the basic movement of the hip. When you allow your knees to break first when descending from standing, they tend to move forward, and the quads tend to assume the lion's share of the work. Think squats. People try to hinge to begin their squats in order to get the posterior chain to take more of the work and create a more balanced exercise, but face it, squats are for quads. When the hip hinges before anything else gets involved, the posterior chain (hams, glutes, back) tends to stay more involved. So hip hinge exercises (I listed them before) strengthen the posterior chain. The PC is critical for all heavy lifting--helping your neighbor move her piano, lifting your bride over the threshold, removing boulders from your garden, etc. Like jlmoss said.

I can't remember if you have ever clearly stated your exercise goals, but mine center around making my life better. My simple, and somewhat tongue-in-cheek statement of my goals is "so that I can tie my own shoes when I'm 92"; that is to stay functional as long as possible. That was really what jlmoss was trying to say. He's in my general age category. He and I don't care any more about impressing the girls (well, maybe a little, but not much). Though the word "functional" has been overused and misused a lot in the strength training world, I can't think of a better word to use in this case.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:25 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I thought jlmoss was a younger man, who owned a bakery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:07 am 

Oh, yeah. You're partly right. He's not as old as me, and he owns a bakery.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:04 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

more baking talk! I thought this was an exercise forum! Clearly it's a bunch of old dudes discussing sticky buns

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:09 am 

Ah, sticky buns.

A friend gave my wife some Cinnabon knock-offs as a reward for surviving our recent medical procedures, one of those where you don't eat for 36 hours, unless you count Jell-o and chicken broth. They were really good. I'm going to have to get her recipe.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Pulled pork recipes get moved, but here you are going on about a delicious sticky bun. Oh man.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:55 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
Pulled pork recipes get moved, but here you are going on about a delicious sticky bun. Oh man.

he doesn't want his baking threads clogged up with masculine foodstuffs