ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:34 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Alrighty...I have taken whey protien on and off for a few years...not really consistent. However I am learning a lot about things and started to take whey more...

Well today I ordered some when protein and casein protein from the same maker...and I must say that the casein protein tastes like a conglomerate of cardboard-buttholes. Does anyone else share in my dread? Any ideas to ease the horror of taking it?

I need something to mix it with...I am already afraid to take more...but its supposed to be good for my muscles so... :(

BTW I know I spelled protein wrong in the topic title...that I before E rule messes up my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:52 pm 

I use Optimum Nutritions Casein protein and it is pretty good. Try mixing what you have with your whey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:06 am 
Rookie
Rookie

I have noticed that Casein protein smells not so nice as 100% whey.
But I have been told that if you add some 100%whey in a glass of full fat milk (3.5%) you can somehow create a drink which is comparable to Casein protein and tastes much better than the pure casein.

I don't know if it is correct, probably tim, ironman can tell us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Milk has casein in it. It's not going to be pure casein though because it has whey and lactose and other stuff in it. If you drink enough of it you can get whatever amount of casein you are going for. Eating cheese is another way to do that. As far as milk with whey added, thats an easy to make weight gainer. Chocolate milk works the best. Skinny guys have used that to bulk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 2:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Ironman wrote:
As far as milk with whey added, thats an easy to make weight gainer.

how is it possible? Weight/Mass Geiners include carbs, this mixture doesn't. It contains though more fat but is it enough to affect your weight?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:00 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Well as of late I have been mixing my proteins and they have been more tolerable...I guess I'll just take the taste like a man and think happy thoughts.

BTW on an unrelated note, I ordered an electronic fat caliper today...does anyone know where I can go to see what percent of body fat is healthy for age/gender ect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 3:50 pm 
In Memoriam: TimD
In Memoriam: TimD

Paul K, milk, especially whole milk, contains carbs, milk sugars, and has fat, and those two definately ualify it as a "mass gainer", and the added protein just ensures you are getting enough. This is way before your time, but when I started in the mid to early sixties, protein powders were scarce, and tasted like chalk. Every one used to do a hard squat workout, chase it down with a quart or two of whole milk, then hit the steak and eggs for supper. But in your case, wanting to cut fat, I wouldn't go the chase the squats down with milk thing. It has a tendency to add some surplus fat along with the good stuff.
Tim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:08 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Besides that when you add the chocolate syrup you get a whole bunch more carbs. It's a weight gainer for sure.