ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Post subject: Forearm pain
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:44 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I hurt my right forearm trying to turn a wrench about 8 months ago. I had to completely drop weight training altogether for 6 months waiting for it to heal. (I went to the doctor and he said to just lower intensity to the point where I wasn't straining the arm. Problem was using the bar by itself hurt.) After 6 months of waiting it still hurt so I said screw it I'm exercising I don't care if the arm wants to or not.

Well for whatever reason my right forearm seems to be 95% of the way healed now, but there's still a dull ache when I curl. I also started doing wrist curls and reverse wrist curls to strengthen my forearms. But there's a new problem.

My left forearm's starting to hurt the same way. Even BEFORE I started doing the wrist curls. And since I started it's only gotten worse. So the wrist curls are HELPING my right arm, and reducing the pain. And HURTING my left arm, and making the pain (which by all logic shouldn't be there since I never injured it) worse. Oh by the way, I'm left handed but my right forearm is almost twice as strong as my left.

I've been to the doctor once before and all he said was reduce the intensity and use ice/hot packs on the arm. I'm not going to sit on my ass waiting for 3 hours to be seen for another BS answer like that again. I want to know exactly what I can do to speed up the healing process as fast as possible. Are there vitamins, enzymes, supplements I can take? Should I reduce the intensity till it's comfortable or just drop the weight training completely again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:40 pm 
It's like the pain I get in the forearms when I do pull-ups ... even chin-ups. Solution? Work out the forearms, maybe wrap them, and watch how you curl a DB or a BB.

I was doing concentration curls last night, and just like clockwork my left forearm was aching, my right one wasn't. So, I twisted my left wrist a bit -- I forget which way -- and the stress was taken off of my forearm.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:41 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Is it better for thw wrists to curl with dumbbless or barbells? Also, I HAVE been working out my forearms, that's what's making my left arm worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:16 pm 

Dumbbells are better in my opinion.

If working your forearms is causing you pain, you should stop.

Forearm workouts are not that important to overall fitness in my opinion. Giving them some rest while working out other things might help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:17 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Yes, but the reason I'm doign them is becaause I'm 5'11 145 lbs. My arms and hards are freakishly thin and effeminate. I need to get the forearms to grow with the rest of the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:23 pm 

There is very little muscle on your forearms that can grow and using light weights and directly working them is not always the best way.

For example, if you want to have huge biceps you should not just do bicep curls. You should do plenty of chinups and rows because they let you handle vastly superior weight that expose the biceps to weight they could never handle for bicep curls. The result is bigger biceps. Forearms are the same but even to a more extreme extent. They are one of the smallest muscles you have and it really can be more efficient to work other groups that involve the forearms as stabilizers etc.

If you are 5'11 and 145 lb. I am guessing you have the genetics to be very thin. The untrained size of your calves and forearms can be a good indicator of how much potential you have to become massively big. Clearly, this does not mean you can not make great gains and improvements in personal fitness. Just, do not try to be something you are not meant to be.

If something is hurting your body, the last thign you want to do is keep doing and make the problem worse.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:24 pm 
Maybe use the E-Z bar to do barbell curls.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 6:17 pm 
I wouldnt do any curling that puts your wrist in the palm up position...thats just gonna stress it even more. Try hammer curls instead (palms facing in) and see if that works without pain. I'd can the direct forearm work for now..and instead rely on things like heavy deadlifts to work on your forearm and grip strength.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:12 pm 
Got it. And exactly what difference does it make if I've got tendonitis, neuritis, or a pulled muscle?

Post subject: rupert
PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:10 am 
DELETED

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ]