ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Gun Control
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:35 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Actually there is more to it than that. Most Republicans politicians oppose universal background checks, and some want no background checks at all. Republicans citizens on the other hand do actually support background checks, although the majority is slim.

Some people who are said to be on the "gun control" side, actually do not support any bans at all. I considered the high capacity magazines, but ultimately decided that would not help. So my position on guns HAS NOT CHANGED in my entire life. I was a gun rights support until recently, then presto changeo and suddenly I'm one of those gun control guys. I have this crazy totalitarian idea that nutters, morons, criminals, and the hopelessly irresponsible shouldn't get guns.

It's all a big load crap. It's a false dichotomy of sorts where everyone who doesn't want gun anarchy supports the government taking everyone's guns away. It's because Republicans and the NRA are right up the ass of big business.

I can't let Democrats off the hook though. The problem I have with them, is they act like most of the people that vote for them want "assault weapon" bans, and that simply is not true. I know I didn't vote for that. I want the government out of people's bedrooms, not into their gun lockers.

A lot of the blame goes on cable news stations. They make issues of stupid stuff, and then all the morons line up and take sides.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:44 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

A lot of the opposition to Universal Background Checks has to do with record keeping requirements and concerns that it could create a backdoor gun registry. The ATF has a bad habit of holding onto information that they're required by law to destroy. There's also a great deal of skepticism about the governments ability to enforce the requirement for checks on private sales.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:04 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's all distortions and smoke and mirrors. That's what I think of the "assault weapon" bans too. It's all nonsense. There is no sincerity not backed by ignorance, and no decent evidence either.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:16 pm 

Matt, You'll like this. http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/ci ... ory/nWhgr/

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:08 pm 

Seems like a lousy idea to me ... kind of like forcing people to vote.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:55 am 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ance-scam/

Looks like DC has found a new way to deprive people of their rights. It's like charging people to vote.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:49 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

(facepalm)

That's one of the dumbest, most pointless laws I've ever seen. Most people just collect them, go to the shooting range, or go hunting. It's not like they're out in public firing them off like the wild west or something. The problem has already been solved. People aren't allowed to shoot guns in certain areas. It's like voter ID. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:15 pm 

guns are now known as luxury goods, haha.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:21 pm 

"That's one of the dumbest, most pointless laws I've ever seen. Most people just collect them, go to the shooting range, or go hunting. It's not like they're out in public firing them off like the wild west or something. The problem has already been solved. People aren't allowed to shoot guns in certain areas. It's like voter ID. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist." - Ironman

It's just another way of banning firearms. The insurance they want to require doesn't currently exist, and if it did exist, it would be prohibitively expensive.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:45 pm 

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar/09 ... s-20130309

There are also efforts underway to increase taxes on firearms and ammunition. In effect, these taxes would punish responsible, law-abiding gun owners for the acts of criminals and the mentally ill.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:14 pm 

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... t-liabili/

Proposed law would require gun owners to carry insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:34 am 

http://www.nraila.org/news-issues/news- ... px?s&st&ps

Call me crazy, but I think decisions effecting the constitutional rights of US citizens should be made by our own elected officials.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:57 am 

I bought my first rifle at the beginning of the year...just a .22lr bolt action to go target shooting with. I have yet to be able to find ammo for it anywhere. Now, granted I'm not up at the crack of dawn being as proactive as I could be looking for it, but still, I have been somewhat looking without success. All I know is I want the political gun talk and legislation to end, and the dust to settle, so perhaps I might be able to actually buy some ammo! Think that is ever gonna happen? Or has the fabric of society or however you want to describe it been altered and gun stuff will always be in short supply?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:11 pm 

I've also noticed .22 LR ammo is hard to find, along with most handgun ammo and some rifle calibers. Even reloading supplies are getting scarce, although that doesn't really effect me since I don't load my own ammo.

I don't think the current level of demand is sustainable, which may be part of the problem. Ammunition makers are reluctant to increase production capacity and hire more people, since it's doubtful the current level of demand will last.

It's also possible that some of larger ammunition makers like Remington and Winchester have temporarily shifted resources away from rimfire ammo production to meet the high demand for centerfire ammunition, which I would imagine is probably more profitable to produce (I could be wrong).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 4:22 pm 

http://blogs.denverpost.com/thespot/201 ... ork/93506/

Apparently no one told the Congresswoman sponsoring the new "high-capacity" magazine bill that rifle and pistol magazines are reusable.

PS) Stripper clips are also reusable, so I'm not sure what the spokeswoman is talking about.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 257 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next