ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:36 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

robertscott wrote:
nice work Kenny.

So you doing another?

Definitely. The next we're doing is in August. I've not set any goals yet, going to mull over it, but I think I can put about 40KG on to my total.

KPj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:03 am 

KPj wrote:
robertscott wrote:
nice work Kenny.

So you doing another?

Definitely. The next we're doing is in August. I've not set any goals yet, going to mull over it, but I think I can put about 40KG on to my total.

KPj

cool, were you lifting raw? Forgot to ask before

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:34 am 

Yes, raw. Wouldn't consider gear until I felt I had hit a ceiling with the raw lifting.

I was surprised how I held my strength with a total of 10KG in weight loss over 4 months, and that was leaving a good 10-20kg on the floor with the squat.

Another 5-6 KG drop and I would be in the lower weight class, and all I would need is to hold my current numbers and I should be able to get some (scottish) records. Not sure if i'll go down this road but it's a possibility. I'll definitely get a little leaner than I already am and see how it feels from there.

My training partner wants to drop to the 72's, where she would compete directly with a real strong girl who nailed a 160KG deadlift and just missed a 165 - the judges were strict! I've seen far worse deadlifts get 3 whites.

KPj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:40 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Well now we know Kenny didn't fly back to his home planet :headbang:

Sounds like a great comp, the missed squat sounds about normal, it's amazing what you can forget in the heat of the moment. When I walked up to my first squat the back spotter was a trainer and my gym and he said, "Go slow Ken, no rush." How do you think he knew to say that? lol.

Let us know how your numbers go afterward. Everything I had went down over a period of 2 months. But it's all coming back now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:05 am 

KenDowns wrote:
Well now we know Kenny didn't fly back to his home planet :headbang:

Sounds like a great comp, the missed squat sounds about normal, it's amazing what you can forget in the heat of the moment. When I walked up to my first squat the back spotter was a trainer and my gym and he said, "Go slow Ken, no rush." How do you think he knew to say that? lol.

Let us know how your numbers go afterward. Everything I had went down over a period of 2 months. But it's all coming back now.

It was amazing. I was overwhelmed by the support we got from the other lifters that were there. Some real legends, and some real quality lifters. I was told before my squat, "go down slower than you're used to, because you'll be moving faster than you realise" - I see what he means. The squat videos i've seen show us pretty much dive bombing on the way down!

The squat really messed with my brain. I'm glad I have a training partner that really knows me - he was our runner/handler. There's a bunch of technique issues I'm changing in my squat, but only realised this a few weeks out from the meet and decided not to change anything so close to it. So when it came time to squat my mind was all over the place. After the No Lift my handler just kept saying, "this is not the time to f***** think. Just f***** lift. Stop thinking too much!". Another guy told me to imagine I was under water and block everything out, which actually really worked for me! Lucky I didn't visualise myself drowning.

Also, the best lifter who is 13th in the world for his class is really interesting (robert love). His coach, a legend himself, has trained him for 20 years. Anyway, Robert doesn't ever know what he's lifting in competition, and he doesn't care. The coach decides everything and doesn't even tell him. He set a british record but wasn't even aware. He says he just goes out and lifts and doesn't care what's on the bar - the coach chose the number because he's capable of it. He rarely misses even in competition. I found this out when I said, "what you go next". He just said, "duno - ask him (points to coach). I just lift it, the weight doesn't matter to me".

KPj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:00 am 

KPj wrote:
Yes, raw. Wouldn't consider gear until I felt I had hit a ceiling with the raw lifting.

I was surprised how I held my strength with a total of 10KG in weight loss over 4 months, and that was leaving a good 10-20kg on the floor with the squat.

Another 5-6 KG drop and I would be in the lower weight class, and all I would need is to hold my current numbers and I should be able to get some (scottish) records. Not sure if i'll go down this road but it's a possibility. I'll definitely get a little leaner than I already am and see how it feels from there.

My training partner wants to drop to the 72's, where she would compete directly with a real strong girl who nailed a 160KG deadlift and just missed a 165 - the judges were strict! I've seen far worse deadlifts get 3 whites.

KPj

were you competing against geared lifters? Your placing is impressive as it is but that would really be something!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 am 

Nah, the only equipped lifter was a 79 year old bench only lifter who benched 135 - from the "Ma Bar" documentary I posted. Oh, before he benched 135, I was able to say, "that's YOUR BAR". Was amazing. Possibly the highlight! He missed 140 and all he said was, "I'll get it next year". Amazing guy.

Also, I seen the best example of leg drive ever, and it reminded me of hoose's analogy of pushing a chair back with your feet. A guy benching 130-ish actually pushed the bench back across the floor. He got a re take because of it. Just imagine how much force he generates from the ground.

"push the bench back with your feet".

KPj

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:09 pm 

Nice Kenny! I wish more people would compete for the shear fun of being around other lifters. Oh... and it sounds like you left a lot of weight on the platform. Go get you some more.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 am 

Thanks Hoose. Loved it. Can't wait to increase my Total.

I'll be getting all the videos at the weekend so they'll be up soon-ish.

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:42 am 

congratulations KPj! may i ask how tall you are?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:51 am 

ephs wrote:
congratulations KPj! may i ask how tall you are?

Thanks!

I'm 5'7.

KPj

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:17 am 

Huge wind storm here on the station where I live on Wednesday. At least 20 trees down, one very large one came down on an occupied house, mom and son inside sitting at the dining table, but uninjured. Several houses with minor damage. Our house is OK, but our garden is trashed. Large tree took out all of our banana trees, and much of our sweet potato garden, which we depend on for inexpensive dog food. Many power lines were taken down.

I was actually on the way to the gym and was caught out at the peak of the storm. Soaked. I was just lifting away, oblivious of all the damage until I walked home, talked with a few people and looked around.

Our house was without power for just over 24 hours, but it took 53 hours to restore it to the last part of the station, including our network server. In our houses, no power means no running water. It then took our IT guy a couple of more hours to restore internet.

So everyone is OK. There's still lots of work to put things back to normal. The damaged house may by torn down rather than repaired. It wasn't in too good condition before.

It reminds us of how thankful we should be for luxuries like electric light, running water, refrigeration and, of course, internet.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:15 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Glad to hear you and yours are safe doc.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 pm 

Glad you're okay.

On an unrelated note, I saw two .380 shell casings (fired) in a gas station parking lot on my way to the gym today. The two people working there said they hadn't heard anything, so I'm guessing someone just dropped them there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:14 am 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

if only there was a way to set up some sort of pay receivables account where your pals could sign up and transfer some funds to help out a good doctor givng his time in a remote devasted? area.

Serious question: Do you hurt for resources for the clean up? Sometimes I see those storms in Haiti, etc, and it seems so overwhelming for a country with minimal infrastructure, no matter how many hip hop stars "give it up" for them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 245, 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251 ... 265  Next