ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:09 am 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
if only there was a way to set up some sort of pay receivables account where your pals could sign up and transfer some funds to help out a good doctor givng his time in a remote devasted? area.

You could e-mail funds by interact, or someone could set set up a Paypal account for him.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:31 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
if only there was a way to set up some sort of pay receivables account where your pals could sign up and transfer some funds to help out a good doctor givng his time in a remote devasted? area.

Serious question: Do you hurt for resources for the clean up? Sometimes I see those storms in Haiti, etc, and it seems so overwhelming for a country with minimal infrastructure, no matter how many hip hop stars "give it up" for them

surely there is a way. Isn't the hospital run as a charity?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:30 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

yes that is true. I can help in a modest way.
If we were a large enoug group it could make some impact.

I'll pledge $50 and match the next $2500 with 10 cents on the $ additionally
That could get the ball rolling if it takes off
Any takers?

which reminds me, our numbers and particpation are dwarfed by a sight with people discussing zoo philia, and another dicussing "water sports"
Without the intenet I would never know how many whacky people are out there.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:57 pm 

My wife and I took the kids to Middle Creek WMA today. We saw lots of waterfowl and other birds, but most of the snow geese have already moved on (there were 40,000 there two weeks ago).

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:52 pm 

Oscar_Actuary wrote:
yes that is true. I can help in a modest way.
If we were a large enoug group it could make some impact.

I'll pledge $50 and match the next $2500 with 10 cents on the $ additionally
That could get the ball rolling if it takes off
Any takers?.

If Doc says they need donations, I'm in.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:07 pm 

Thanks for asking! It turns out that the "storm" was extremely local, and most of the damage was right on our mission station. It may have something to do with what sort of trees are planted here (varieties with shallower root systems?--the area was originally a swampy meadow, but missionaries have planted lots of trees here over the years), but whatever the reason the nearby villages got zero damage. Some of our national staff are trying hard to put some meaning on this, like that God was punishing us for something, though they can't come up with just what that is.

So clean-up on the station is being handled by our already hard-pressed maintenance crew. They have been mostly dealing with power lines and related issues. The kids are cleaning up the small branches of the down trees. It's a blessing for them, since the kid's main chores in most families is gathering firewood. The adults are chopping up larger branches, and the maintenance guys with chainsaws are cutting up the larger branches and leaving the wood for people to take home. The big drunks will be milled into lumber. That should read "trunks" but the idea of sawing up some of the drunks has it's appeal.

The biggest expense here will be the house that received the major damage. It's an older house, and certainly not one of the better ones. It is the house we were originally scheduled to live in, but we were ultimately re-assigned to on of about the same age, but much better in many ways. Our boss has said that no one will ever live in it again, but there's some debate over tearing it down and replacing it with a house, or rebuilding it into a shop. We need houses right now. Three new ones are under construction, but they will only temporarily meet the needs of a growing ministry here.

So it's not like a hurricane in a poor Caribbean country. There are fairly convenient ways to give to the work here if any one is really inclined to, and I can give more details if anyone's interested.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:49 pm 

Andy, I looked up Kudjic Station in Google and came up with this.http://www.samaritanspurse.org/medical/ ... ew-guinea/

I know this is your hospital, I recognize it from videos and pictures you've posted. Is this the appropriate organization is someone wanted to send donations? There is a donation link on the page.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:48 am 

Samaritan's Purse is a charitable organization that helps hospitals and other Christian ministries, but it's not us. They help us in a number of ways like technical consulting. They gave us a brand-new x-ray machine for our hospital. They have either directly provided technical advisers for our hydroelectric project and other projects, or have directed us to people who could help us. They have a branch that links volunteer doctors with hospitals, and they help us get lots of volunteers. They are very worthy of support, but they are a different organization. There is a donation link on our blog. Thanks for asking.

I googled "Kudjip Hospital" and the first hit is us, and all of the first page are at least a reference to us. "NHM" is the umbrella organization here in PNG that includes the hospital, and the Church of the Nazarene is the overall organization.

Also on our blog is our speaking schedule for our time in North America. If anyone lives near any of these places, I'd love to meet in person for coffee or for some lifting. We leave in about 34 hours, not that I'm keeping track. I'll see my grandson in 9 days, and I'm definitely keeping track of that!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:59 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Also on our blog is our speaking schedule for our time in North America. If anyone lives near any of these places, I'd love to meet in person for coffee or for some lifting. We leave in about 34 hours, not that I'm keeping track. I'll see my grandson in 9 days, and I'm definitely keeping track of that!

You're only in Canada West, and Toronto's as far East as Pittsburg or Buffalo. Maybe next time?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 am 

Someday. 4 years ago we were as far East in Canada as Winnipeg. I'd love to see more of Canada.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 pm 

Andy, I hope you enjoy Alberta. If things go according to plan I may be passing a few miles from you on 2 Apr. I hope to get back up north and if I do, I'll be passing through Alberta that day, not Red Deer though. It's funny hearing you call Winnipeg east. It's in the middle of the Continent. I think of Toronto as "out west" as it's a 2 hour flight west from here.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:09 pm 

Haha. Didn't mean to call it east, it's just the farthest east I have been in Canada. I'll get bold some day and go all the way to Toronto. I've seen very little of the east of the US, either.

Alberta is my wife's home. I'll be dodging her relatives and college friends most of the time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 am 

Jungledoc wrote:
Alberta is my wife's home. I'll be dodging her relatives and college friends most of the time.

I'm an Albertan as well. Try to get out there and enjoy the beautiful countryside. If you go to the West Edmonton Mall, try and visit this guy in the food court. I miss him.

(obviously not me pictured)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:43 am 

so do Canadians have the highest representation on this forum?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:45 am 

robertscott wrote:
so do Canadians have the highest representation on this forum?

There's probably more from Glasgow than Canada.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 246, 247, 248, 249, 250, 251, 252 ... 265  Next