ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:58 am 

Give it a while and you will master cooking. I find my food is way nicer without grains because it causes you to be more creative. I had an awesome Pork Belly meal last night. Used this recipe and it was sooooo nice!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4367 ... ple-confit

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:32 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

that looks delicious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:46 am 

Finishing off the pork belly tonight and cooking exactly the same again it was so nice. Takes about an hour an half from start to eating.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:23 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Cheers for the support guys.

Yeah, the food is challenging. I enjoyed a nice curry yesterday, though. Chicken madras, and mushroom saag in place of rice and naan.

I have a new issue, though. I'm down to 11 stone now, and still can't quite see my abs (what that proves I don't know :lol: ) but I imagine I'll have to get down to about 10 1/2 for that. I'm not going any lower cos my pushing power will suffer.

This all begs the question: if I then want to bulk again, what do I eat??? I'm not going back to wheat, but I'm open to potatoes rice etc. And when to have what? High GI pre workout, Low post?? :con:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:06 am 

I didn't get involved with the earlier discussion about bananas. Bananas are relatively high in glucose, low in fructose so they make a nice snack without stressing your liver. If you want an insulin spike post workout, it's useful. A recent study by Alan Aragon suggested that protein before and after workout helped to optimize muscle growth, carbs were optional for non-endurance training.

If you want to bulk again you can go high fat or high carbs. High carbs are more traditional. Non-wheat carb sources are starchy vegetables including most root vegetables, and also squash and other gourds. Legumes are also a source of starch. Some are better than others from a paleo perspective. Lentils (TimD's favourite) and other peas are relatively free of lectins and are likely more friendly to most European digestive systems than kidney beans or soy for example. Generally safe grains such as oats and rice also options.

If you go the high fat route, focus on animal fat along with coconut and olive oil. Trying to go ketogenic on a high vegetable oil diet will not work.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:02 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

Thanks Stu! Exactly the sort of stuff I want to know! :study:

I was thinking re-introduce non wheat carbs like rice, potato etc. I heard somewhere that white rice is better for bulking. Is that right?

I was definitely thinking get back on legumes. Thinking of peanut butter :grin: really missed it!
I will also switch to full fat milk from skimmed I think.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:46 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Neurosis wrote:
Thanks Stu! Exactly the sort of stuff I want to know! :study:

I was thinking re-introduce non wheat carbs like rice, potato etc. I heard somewhere that white rice is better for bulking. Is that right?

I was definitely thinking get back on legumes. Thinking of peanut butter :grin: really missed it!
I will also switch to full fat milk from skimmed I think.

white or brown rice doesn't really make a difference, especially not for bulking. Calories are about the same. Potatoes are all good too. I eat a ton of both.

as for the milk, when they take out the fat they remove a lot of the nutrients in milk. If you prefer skimmed milk then go ahead, but if you are changing because you think the skimmed stuff is healthier then I would rethink it

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:45 pm 

I think people are starting to realize that white rice may be better for you than brown rice. The are both high glycemic but Paul Jaminet pointed out that you can avoid all the anti-nutrients in the bran by eating white. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

stuward wrote:
I think people are starting to realize that white rice may be better for you than brown rice. The are both high glycemic but Paul Jaminet pointed out that you can avoid all the anti-nutrients in the bran by eating white. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/

:eek: the plot thickens

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:22 am 
Rookie
Rookie

Well, I got down to 10 1/2. Now to bulk up again! :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:39 am 

Well done. It took me a while to realize you meant stones and not dress size.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:00 am 
Rookie
Rookie

:lol: