ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ROM and Muscle Shape
PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:23 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm usually a fan of accepting muscle insertion points are genetic and fixed, that muscles only get bigger or smaller and that fat % gets higher or lower. I laugh at 'toning' muscles.

But, due to furious bicep curling differently on one side than the other as a young teen, I developed a large gap between my bicep one one side, but not the other. The insertion points were symmetrical, yet one bicep was shoulder to forearm and the other was like a baseball with inch gap before the forearm. This seemed to be a result of doing a full ROM on my right side and a partial, maximal time under tension reduced ROM of my left arm, I can't remember why.

Now I'm grown up and have added significant size with heavy rows and pulls that everything is balanced out. But it has occurred to me while watching people in the gym that doing half-reps and not getting a stretch or full contraction seems to result in bunchier, more compact muscles. I may be crazy, but is there anything to the idea of varying range of motion affecting the shape and development of a muscle? Thanks

Post subject: Re: ROM and Muscle Shape
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm 

I don't think there's any way that you can know now why your biceps are shaped differently. It's probably just genetic, like why my ears are shaped differently. There's nothing wrong with experimenting with the ROM thing, even doing one arm one way the the other some other way. Try it and let us know!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:06 pm 
n00b
n00b

Jungledoc wrote:
I don't think there's any way that you can know now why your biceps are shaped differently. It's probably just genetic, like why my ears are shaped differently. There's nothing wrong with experimenting with the ROM thing, even doing one arm one way the the other some other way. Try it and let us know!

Ha, could just be genetic then. I'm not so much interested in the body sculpting rather the physiology, but if I do try it out I'll feed back.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 pm 

Are you sure your arm wasn't just locked into more flexion than the other due to chronic muscle tightness?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:20 pm 

did you do a specific sport in this time? for example, rafael nadal (tennis player) does the same workout for both his arms, but he has a way bigger biceps on his forehand arm.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:06 pm 

That's an interesting thought, Ephs. Good question, though I think Broscience would have said something if he was in an unusual sport. I know a canoist, back man in the 2-man event, so he always paddles on the right side, essentially pulling with his right arm, pushing with his left. He says that when he was at the peak of his training his muscles and ROMs were very assymetrical.