ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:20 pm 
n00b
n00b

Due to illness, a cut and the holidays I have lost quite a bit of strength in the last 2 months.

My squat was nearly 350 and bench 225 for 6+ reps .

Now my squat is 225 for 8 and bench is 225 for 1.

I took a long time to get to my original numbers running starting strength, I don't really want to run it again. I'm doing a lean bulk now and focusing more on hypertrophy than strength, but still doing a few heavy lifts a week. Would it be reasonable to add more weight than someone who has never done that weight before, in the hope I can catch up my strength quicker?

For example SS addition is 5lbs, but would it be reasonable for me to add 10-15lbs since I've been there before?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:46 pm 

It depends on how old you are and how hard you had to work to get to 350. In general, you will progress more rapidly than someone that has never lifted heavier before but going too slow is always better than going too fast when it come to weight progression.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:03 pm 
n00b
n00b

stuward wrote:
It depends on how old you are and how hard you had to work to get to 350. In general, you will progress more rapidly than someone that has never lifted heavier before but going too slow is always better than going too fast when it come to weight progression.

I'm mid 20's so still have a lot in the tank and my nutrition and rest is spot on. Getting to 350 was hard but consistent, I pretty much started to stall out there for the first time.

That is what I sort of thought, but you're right that it isn't a race, thanks for the response.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:23 am 
former lurker

Broscience wrote:
Due to illness, a cut and the holidays I have lost quite a bit of strength in the last 2 months.

My squat was nearly 350 and bench 225 for 6+ reps .

Now my squat is 225 for 8 and bench is 225 for 1.

I took a long time to get to my original numbers running starting strength, I don't really want to run it again. I'm doing a lean bulk now and focusing more on hypertrophy than strength, but still doing a few heavy lifts a week. Would it be reasonable to add more weight than someone who has never done that weight before, in the hope I can catch up my strength quicker?

For example SS addition is 5lbs, but would it be reasonable for me to add 10-15lbs since I've been there before?

Thanks

Plan your diet in advance, then track the results. If you are not recovering fast enough to gain strength, the answer may be that you are simply not getting enough calories. Keep track of your training program and ensure that you are not over-training.