ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

I'm 20 years old and around 5'8", 137. I've been making some solid progress with Strong Lifts (and feel like I still have some room to grow before I begin stalling), but was wondering whether it would be beneficial to switch to Starting Strength instead. I've also noticed that my short-burst quickness has gotten better since I started squatting regularly, but that my endurance has really leveled off (I used to do cross country/track). Someone told me that I should refrain from doing a lot of cardio since I don't put on weight very easily. Is the endurance factor something I should be concerned about?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:53 am 

Strong lifts and Starting Strength are very similar. The only real difference is that SL uses 5 sets instead of 3. Some people gain strength with low volume, others need higher volume. It has to do with muscle fibres which affects local muscle endurance and peak power production. People that are predominantly slow twitch do better with high volume. These people are typically skinnier than normal. People who gain weight easily would do better with fewer sets. In your case, given your low body weight, I would suggest you stick with Stronglifts.

There is no reason to to avoid cardio provided you provide adequate calories to fuel your activity. Cardio does not limit muscle growth, it's malnutrition and lack of strength training that does. Some people have an unrealistic expectation of normal muscle growth. People that appear to grow fast are usually getting fat.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:01 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

As Stu said, they are much the same.

After you've stalled twice on Stronglifts, the recommendation is to go to 3x5 instead of 5x5, which is what SS does from the start. Once you hit 3x5 on SL there is only one difference left: power cleans.

So really its about

1) power cleans instead of rows

2) 3x5 now instead of later