ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: What's a realistic goal?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:45 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I'm 5'11, 145 lbs. I want to know what a realistic goal should be in terms of how much muscle I'll put on and how much weight I'll be able to move. I'll probably never be able to bench 300, but if I can get to 200 I'll be happy. and Ideally, I'd like the get up to 190-200 in weight, but I'd be happy just to make it to 180.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:20 pm 

What are you lifting now?

How long have you been lifting?

If you can gain 55 lbs of mostly lean tissue, then I am sure you can get to bench 300 lb.

On a side note, there is more to lifting than benching a lot of weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:24 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

I've been working out off and on for a year.

the numbers are for rep work, not total max.

only 90 on the bench.
curling 60 (barbell not dumbbell)
weighted situps 30
squat 90

that's just the highlights but I think you get the idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:29 pm 

Those are not bad numbers considering you have only been working out on and off for a single year.

The curls seem to be your best movement relative to your other lifts. Perhaps this gives you an idea of why you are experiencing forearm pain; you could be doing too much work for your arms and not enough for the rest of your body.

I suggest stopping bicep work altogether and focusing on the big compound lifts that make you strong all over.

These would include:

Deadlift and Squat for total body strength.

For the chest, Bench Press of all angles with barbell and dumbells.

For the upper back, Bent over rows, chest supported rows, db rows, pullups, chinups and pulldowns.

For the hamstrings, leg curls, glute ham raises, and SLDL.

Since you are experiencing forearm pain and seem to have been focusing a lot on biceps, you could have a muscle imbalance between biceps and triceps so working on triceps while you take some time off from biceps could be positive for your fitness goals.

I suggest doing a full body routine 3 days per week. Routine outlines can be found on this site in the beginner section (although I do not think you should consider this a step backward because I have been lifting for 9 years and still refer back to these outlines).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:34 pm 
Gaining muscle and strength takes time and consistency. At this point it's impossible to say what is or isn't a reasonable long term goal. Focus instead on smaller short term goals like adding 10 or 15 pounds to your bench press or squat over the next month or two. Then when you reach this point set you sights a little higher. Also, try keeping a workout log or journal to chart your progress.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]