ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:18 pm 
n00b
n00b

I hate cardio. Like, really hate it. I am trying to lose fat and, hopefully, also gain muscle. I was, therefore, interested in the PACE program outlined by Dr. Sears at http://www.alsearsmd.com/msfitnessty/PA ... elines.pdf -- a high intensity interval training program.

Thanks to advice here, I am doing a two-day upper/lower body split (A/B), each twice per week. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to integrate PACE training (P), perhaps on two off the off days, so ABPABPx ? Is it worth doing to help promote losing some fat? Will it interfere too much with recovery from/for the weight training?

EDIT: Alternatively, since the PACE training is pretty short, I guess I could add it on some of the lifting days...I could swing that, but it would add a lot of time pressure and certainly have an effect on the effort I could give with the weights.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:46 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Interval training is a great tool to lose fat and preserve/even help build muscle. HIIT -training can be utilized either in workout days, or off days. Two, three times a week is great. I used to do a 20-minute interval work before my bench training. I didn't want to mess my lower body day with intervals, but you could try to put them to the end of your workout as well. Or do a twice a day type of deal, with HIIT work an hour or two before a workout.

But It's alrigth to work it on rest days as well. I have had 0 problems with it, after the DOMS got a little ligther. Intervals are such low-volume exercises it's not likely to drive you into overtraining.
http://www.ergo-log.com/interval-traini ... ining.html

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:20 pm 

it doesn't matter, if you do cardio on workout days or on off days. it's only important to do your strength training, when you are fit to get the best out of it. so, do cardio after your workout and not before.

you have to see how your body reacts to your plan of making sports six times a week. if you need one more recovery day, just do one cardio session on a workout day.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:59 pm 

PACE is a good program. I highly recommend it. Don't worry about cardio, especially HIIT affecting your gains. You would need extreme amounts to interfere with your lifting and as long as you have the calorie intake to support your lifting you'll be fine. The combination will help keep your fat down and improve your cardio.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley