ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Looking for advice
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:23 pm 
former lurker

Fairly new to fitness or rather finally back after close to 30 years. I started to get back into shape and lose a little weight......... three months later and 30 pounds lighter I can say I'm sort of addicted! 46 years old, 5'11" and 188 pounds. My question is about my routine, both lifting and cardio. I workout 6 days and try to take Sundays off with the following: chest, tri's, legs M,W,F and shoulders, back, biceps T, Th, Sat. Cardio was 15-25 on elliptical or treadmill until about a month ago when I introduced HIIT to increase fat burning and was told the 5 days per week I was doing it was wrong. I am now doing HIIT M,W,F 8 sets of 1:2 30 seconds of 230 strides per minute and a minute at 130 strides. Same day I sometimes jog for 20 minutes in the evening. T,Th,S running for 20-30 minutes. Should I be doing things differently. Please understand my last go at fitness was when I played football in high school so this may seem pretty stupid but I haven't figured out all the new research and regimes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Looking for advice
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:36 pm 

There's no right or wrong but you need to balance frequency, intensity and volume. Most beginners find that strength training every second day with some form of cardio in between is adequate. I would think that you may not be giving yourself time to recover between workouts. Recovery is when the adaptation takes place. Just hammering away at your muscles everyday may improve your endurance but your strength and size will suffer and you may risk overuse injuries.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:49 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

your training split is kinda weird. Chest, tri's and legs all together?

Consider switching to a push/pull/legs split. You can still train 6 days a week like that if you want, and you're giving your legs more priority, which you should be doing.

doing HIIT 5 days a week is only wrong if you are not recovering. If you find yourself feeling all burnt out and tired all the time, then it's too much. If, however, you are still looking forward to your workouts and you're seeing improvement then have at it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:20 am 

Maybe not all that weird. You can read it as push+legs/pull, depending on the actual lifts.

I agree that 6 days might be ok for some, but I think more likely it would be ok for guys of Bob's age than for guys who are, shall we say, a bit older. Many people make good progress on 3 days/week. Don't be too impatient for progress--it's a marathon, not a sprint.

If you want to post your actual workout, we'd be glad to argue over it and confuse you further!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:30 am 

push+legs/pull is weird!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:39 am 

OK. Then try this: do a push/pull split, and add legs on one of those days.

Or, Angus, you could try push/pull, and do hip-dominant legs on one day, knee-dominant legs on the other. THAT I don't think you could do 6/wk for very long.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:06 pm 
former lurker

I'll do my best to give you my "workout" as it does change due tot he 6 day rotation. I haven't felt tired or burnt out but rather a little of the opposite.....looking forward to the next days go! Sleeping much better and a little sore but not real bad.
M,W,F bench, tri ext, shrugs, pullovers, incline flys, squats, leg curl, seated calf (I will work in leg ext on these days and reduce weight of squats) then onto cardio HIIT with a 5-10 minute cool down
T,Th,Sat: milt. Press, bicep curl, upright row, lat pull (behind head and narrow to chest sets) side and front lateral raises then cardio of a 15-30 min. run ( running may be a short variation with a long jog in the evening)
I don't bull$h1t in the gym and do my work so time is spent working between sets with the other lifts by muscle groups and return to the first exercise for the second set of that lift (I hope this makes sense) most workouts are about two hours and may be split during the day as I usually do a 5 am and a noon or evening hour as well which will include the cardio running. I always do my lifting before the cardio.
Is your push/pull pertaining to opposing muscle groups or just reference to the type of lift. (Man this stuff has changed since my gridiron days!) thank you for the help and insights

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:22 am 

Push/pull is referring to upper body work, and the direction of the concentric movement in relation to the body. Just a simple way to organize the movements, as opposed to body-part splits.