ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:23 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:31 pm 

We had a thread like this some time back, but I couldn't find it, so here's a new one. I was reminded today of something I saw years ago when I trained in this same gym.

A kid, maybe 19 or 20 deadlifting, or at least doing something that he seemed to think would be understood as deadlifting by the audience. His back was rounded from his butt to his head, but he was pulling huge loads. On every rep it looked like his face was about to explode, but he'd get it locked out, drop it, and put on more weight. I don't remember now how heavy he got, but I think it was at least 4 pairs of plates. He was using straps, of course. A while later I noticed him working on a machine, not sure what, maybe a pec deck. The funny part was that he was still using straps.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:13 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

My gym has a hinge on the floor that you can slide a barbell into in order to perform something approximating R-bar Rows. The strange thing is that nearly every guy that uses it stands nearly vertical, rather than remaining bent-over, turning a lever row into a lever shrug/deadlift (apparently most can use more weight this way). The worst part however is that they end up hitting themselves in the groin with the barbell since they're straddling it as they lift one end. You would think this would be enough to make them keep their chests down, but somehow it isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:22 pm 

I've also seen a few women actually back their butts up to doorway while doing Straight-leg Deadlifts with pitifully light weights (20-30 lb barbells). This prevents their hips from moving backwards as they lower the weight. Why anyone would want to do that is a mystery to me.

I also saw a teenager teaching his younger brother how to do Decline Bench Presses. The younger boy did it correctly lowering the bar to his lower chest. Then the older brother "corrected" him, having him lower the bar to his collarbone. It was painful to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:10 pm 
n00b
n00b

Matt Z wrote:
I've also seen a few women actually back their butts up to doorway while doing Straight-leg Deadlifts with pitifully light weights (20-30 lb barbells). This prevents their hips from moving backwards as they lower the weight. Why anyone would want to do that is a mystery to me.

I also saw a teenager teaching his younger brother how to do Decline Bench Presses. The younger boy did it correctly lowering the bar to his lower chest. Then the older brother "corrected" him, having him lower the bar to his collarbone. It was painful to watch.

Haha, So funny; I just watched the same thing happen last week at my gym; except it was a 20 year old male trying to train his girlfriend on the incline. Lifting partner and I just watched, shaking our heads.

My second favorite is the "throwback" bicep curl where it looks like they are trying to do a compound bicep/lower back workout...of course he brags that he's "curling" 100 pounds. Classic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:48 am 
former lurker

I was looking for some funny pictures here.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:17 am 

Tristan_2 wrote:
I was looking for some funny pictures here.

Check out Awkward Gym Moments on Facebook.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:12 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Already posted in another thread, I'll just repeat that the funny things I've seen are where people hang on to the treadmill.

I've seen people holding and pushing down on the side rails and running like hell with their legs moving at lightning speed.

The same can be said of those moving stairs. What's the point of climbing the movable stairs if you're holding the stationary handrails.