ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:00 am 
Novice
Novice

And it's me again with my DL, sorry if i'm annoying with it. My form has improved very much, but there's one thing that's bothering me. Here is DL with 19kg on each side, I did with 20kg also, but form is the same so no need for upload.
So my problem is that few days after I kinda feel sore in my spine? between shoulder blades. I written "spine?" because I don't know how spine
can be sore or it's something like compression. I can feel it when I breathe in deeply. It doesn't hurt (I can DL, squat and do everything else normally)
or anything it's just strange. I know you guys aren't here to give some medical diagnosis, I just feel there's something wrong with my form and I can't see what.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:14 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

1) Don't jerk the bar up. When going to heavier weigth, you will do great damage to your shoulders and arms in general when you jerk the bar up from 0 to 100 with one big push. Instead of that, create tension and pull the slack out of the bar so to speak. Make yourself tigth in before the lift.

2) One thing I noticed from the videos is that at some points you show way too much anterior pelvic tilt (also known as the Donald Duck pose). How is your standing posture? You arch your lower back very much, which can create problems on the upper and lower back and below the hip. Don't arch your lower back too much. It wasn't seen on the actual deadlift, more on the eccentric portion of the lift. And in between lifts. Like in the very first seconds of the video. On the top position you already have your hips fully extended, but then you do a strange over-extension where you kind of create a big curve on your spine, bringing scapulae down and butt up.

Keep a neutral spine. That would be my advice. Don't arch, just brace and make your whole core tigth and stabile as hell.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:16 am 
Novice
Novice

Until you mentioned I wasn't aware that I jerk the bar up, good point! Maybe that jerk makes so much tension on upper spine, at least it looks likes that way.

I have slight anterior pelvic tilt, it was much worse before. I'm currently doing some stretches and have to strengthen my abs because they're not so strong.
I thought I should have strong arch in the back when going down to DL, but that's what comes with neutral spine, right?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:40 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

led7x wrote:
I have slight anterior pelvic tilt, it was much worse before. I'm currently doing some stretches and have to strengthen my abs because they're not so strong.
I thought I should have strong arch in the back when going down to DL, but that's what comes with neutral spine, right?

Work the glutes also, they are important on keeping your hip on correct alignment.

You don't need to arch too much in any point of the deadlift. The moment you start to alter the position and posture of the spine, the muscles react and different forces take effect. At this point the shear can come to your lower back area when you excessively arch your back on the way down. You lengthen your abs, deactivate your glutes, cause problems on the diaphragm and intra-abdominal pressure, and contract hugely on the spinal erectors. There's is lots of compensation.

Neutral spine means that there is no arching one way or another. Lumbar spine has a natural arch already. You want as stable and optimally aligned spine as possible. Mike Robertson explains the neutral spine better than I can, check this video out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwEJ7e_pm7o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:48 am 
Novice
Novice

Dub wrote:
You don't need to arch too much in any point of the deadlift. The moment you start to alter the position and posture of the spine, the muscles react and different forces take effect. At this point the shear can come to your lower back area when you excessively arch your back on the way down. You lengthen your abs, deactivate your glutes, cause problems on the diaphragm and intra-abdominal pressure, and contract hugely on the spinal erectors. There's is lots of compensation.

I would only arch on the set-up, everything else would be fine. But from now on, I'll only do the neutral spine and everything else on the set-up should be ok.

Thanks a lot for the help! :thumbright: Now I know the rest I have to fix.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:20 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Dude! Check this out! Completely relevant. Kelly Starrett talks about this hyperextension of the lower back and back stability in general.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjbvf0P0bas

For Doc and lazy people: The main cue is to spread your knees. This will activate the glutes and force the spine to become neutral and stable.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:51 am 

Dub wrote:
For Doc and lazy people: The main cue....

Huh?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:10 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
Dub wrote:
For Doc and lazy people: The main cue....

Huh?
You can't see youtube videos, atleast when you are in the jungle, correct? So I did a very short tl:dr for you and for those who don't care to watch the video.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:41 pm 

Ah! I'm out of the jungle right now. "Real" internet.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:42 pm 
Novice
Novice

Dub wrote:
Dude! Check this out! Completely relevant. Kelly Starrett talks about this hyperextension of the lower back and back stability in general.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjbvf0P0bas

For Doc and lazy people: The main cue is to spread your knees. This will activate the glutes and force the spine to become neutral and stable.

Great stuff, now I have to practice a that position. Thanks!