ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: upper back question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:18 pm 
Novice
Novice

any suggestions for a good upper back exercise with the least lat work?

i've been doing facepulls which I believe to be upper back. also done an exercise where you take the press bar, lodge one end in a corner, and chuck a weight on the other side with the bar between you're legs lifting up, don't know the name or form, or exactly what it hits.

cheers amigos

Post subject: Re: upper back question
PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:46 pm 
Exalted Seer
Exalted Seer

stharrison wrote:
any suggestions for a good upper back exercise with the least lat work?

Rear delt row. Moving the elbows away from the torso when rowing decreases the lat's pulling involvement in the exercise.

But in an earlier thread, the point was made that the lats are the most important muscle in the lower back, and are involved in stabilizing, extending and laterally flexing the the spine. This is controversial, but studies show that the lats are very involved in non-pulling physical activities

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:14 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I didn't know you could exercise the upper back without involving the lats. Why do you want to, are they too big and strong?

But anyway, deadlifts are the king of isometric back exercises (IMHO), but absolutely require lats. The alternative is the Trap Bar Deadlift, which involves the lats less. With the TBDL you can move large weights and put a huge isometric load on the entire posterior chain, including the upper and lower back.

Farmers Walks are a big win for back, but you will feel your lats. I found these improved my OHP a lot because of course OHP requires a strong back to push against or you waste your effort pushing your back out of shape instead of pushing the weight up.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:18 am 

If you're trying to target the posterior delt or the rhomboids, you might want to find exercises that minimize lat involvement. The rear delt row will do that, so do face pulls. However, in my opinion, focus should be on the muscles you want to target, not the ones you want to exclude.

I like these for rhomboids.
http://exrx.net/WeightExercises/BackGen ... ngRow.html

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:08 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

rear delt flyes, cable pull aparts, rear delt rows, prone trap raises, prone Ys, DeFranco's Scarecrow.

google them for descriptions. All of those hammer the upper back without involving the lats too much (if at all).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:50 am 
Novice
Novice

thanks guys, yeah a would say I'm trying to target rhomboids the most really. I also wanna stabilize my upper back better, hopefully make my shoulder stronger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:37 am 

stharrison wrote:
thanks guys, yeah a would say I'm trying to target rhomboids the most really. I also wanna stabilize my upper back better, hopefully make my shoulder stronger

don't worry too much about trying to isolate the rhomboids in general. The muscles in your back all work together synergistically anyway.

Just hit your back with loads of moves from loads of different angles and you'll cover your bases