ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: random controversy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

Should transgenders be allowed to compete in combat sports, namely, New Women vs Naturally Born Women?

I flirted with the idea of combining a question on abortion and firearms. Better judgement won over dark humour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:02 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

I'm still living in the eighties. Nuke the gay unborn whales.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That's a good point. A male to female transgendered person might have a strength advantage over someone born a woman. In some sport it wouldn't matter, because it would be more about current hormones, but strength stuff there might be a slight advantage. Keep in mind though with lower levels of testosterone such individuals would not be as strong as they had been.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:03 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

Anyone else a little concerned about this Predator Drone BS?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:17 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Matt Z wrote:

My children are not growing up the country I grew up in. In many ways I feel like a failure, as they seem to think it is all ok that the government now believes it can kill US citizens without a trial.

Expect the use of deadly force against American citizens without trial for political reasons using drones within 2-5 years. The news coming out now is meant to get everybody used to the idea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:56 am 

The administration claims that it's purely hypothetical and would only be used in extreme circumstances, but isn't that how most dictatorships start, by using some crisis real or fabricated as a pretext to seize power and take away peoples rights?

Meanwhile, I keep thinking what would have happened it the government had tried something like this after 9/11. How many innocent people might have been killed merely because they were suspected of involvement? How many other innocent people might have died as collateral damage?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:37 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Matt Z wrote:

Yes, very much so. After much questioning the administration did finally affirm that drone would not target American citizens not engaged in combat. They need to be held to that too. We also need to repeal the "patriot" act while we are at it. Or as I call it the traitor act.

It's interesting, you have folks such as myself, Senator Bernie Sanders, and the ACLU agreeing with Rand Paul.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:47 pm 

"We also need to repeal the "patriot" act while we are at it." - Ironman

Sounds good to me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:48 pm 

It's funny ... I've met a lot of people who are opposed to gay marriage, but I don't think I've met anyone who actually wants to ban gay sex. What gives? I mean if we're going to legislate morality, why not go the whole nine yards? While we're at it, why not ban divorce, adultery and sex outside of marriage. Maybe the government can even tell straight married couples when and how they're allowed to have sex. What could possibly go wrong?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:50 am 

"It doesn't have ANY effect on your life. What do you care? People try to talk about it like it's a social issue. Like when you see someone stand up on a talk show and say 'How am I supposed to explain to my child that two men are getting married?' I dunno, it's your $h1t kid, you fv(k' tell 'em. Why is that anyone else's problem? Two guys are in LOVE but they can't get married because YOU don't want to talk to your ugly child for five fv(k' minutes?" – comedian Louis CK on gay marriage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:07 am 

“These people who are making a big deal out of gay marriage? I don’t give a f*** about who wants to get married to anybody else! Why not?! We’re making a big deal out of things we shouldn’t be making a deal out of. They go on and on with all this bulls*** about “sanctity” — don’t give me that sanctity crap! Just give everybody the chance to have the life they want.” - Clint Eastwood on gay marriage

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:53 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

there are those who believe it's their obligation to keep all of us as godly as possible. To protect us from the wrath of a vengful God.
I'm not trying to justify it, just explain it. It's not simply that they hate gay sex / people.

Personally, I think you can have Legal Marriage recognized by law. And then as far as whethre or not God approves (presuming the couple even cares), that is up to God.

So, fwiw, I'm saying I separate my views on man-on-man sex from whether or not they should be able ot get a marriage license.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:29 am 

Exactly. People don't need to approve of homosexuality to grant gay couples equal rights under the law. ... It's not as if the government is going to force priests or ministers to marry anyone.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:23 am 

I just read that the government is waving Miranda rights for the Boston bombing suspect. I don't like this at all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:47 am 

Matt Z wrote:
I just read that the government is waving Miranda rights for the Boston bombing suspect. I don't like this at all.

"The public safety exception is triggered when police officers have an objectively reasonable need to protect the police or the public from immediate danger."

I tend to agree with this approach. If he's working with someone else, or if there are other bombs out there, the police need to know this right away. If gathering this type of information was hampered out of fear of not getting a conviction, that would be a bad thing. There are legitimate times when personal rights have to take a back seat.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 90 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next