ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:58 am 

i know the standard recommendations like 40-70% on the main lifts and also less weight on the assistance work, but this is kind of boring. what about some more funny concepts?

what about doing only bodyweight exercises in the deload week? would the body still benefit from only doing bodyweight exercises for maximum reps or would you also cut down the number of reps there to 40-70% max. reps?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:50 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Sure. It's not cut in stone. You can do all kinds of things on your deload week. The main point is to lower the amount of stress and work you put your body through. So Recovery is important. Do bodyweigth, go do gymnastics, just be active. Many lifters do the basic lifts with low intensity because it counts as technique work and greasing the groove so to speak. But it's not set in stone.

I still wouldn't recommend going to failure too much. On BW it's not that bad, but it still puts a lot of stress to your nervous system. Stay away from total failure and you'll do good. Listen to your body. The point of deload week is to get your body recovered and ready for some serious lifting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:25 am 
Rookie
Rookie

The whole point of a deload week is to, well, de-load, reduce the load, volume and overall strain on the body. Mixing it up is great on a deload week on one condition: that the intensity is low enough that very little, if any adaptation is required on that week.

Repping out with bodyweight is not a deload unless you are stopping way short of failure. Your measure of 40-70% is correct, and for good reason. If you rep out, even getting close to failure, your inducing enough stress to cause a NEW adaptive response. Now you've defeated the entire purpose of the deload.

You can do whatever, as Dub said, it's not written in stone what you do, it's HOW you do what you do that makes it a deload week. Keep it light, keep yourself fresh, go to bed early, eat well, and then carry on next week. Yes deload is boring, generally. Personally I do the same exercises, I just go down to 60%. It's a bit boring in the gym, but makes for a much more relaxing week.

If you don't like deloading though, consider cycling. Instead of building up to a max, then deloading, then building up again, you build up to a near max, about 90% or so, then back off about 4 weeks worth of practice, then build up to a new 90% of max, and carry on as such.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:37 pm 
former lurker

Why not just take a week off? I take a week off every 4-8 weeks then i come back with i different rep scheme such as 6-8, then 4-6, then 1-3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:11 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My trainer brought me around to a very un-dogmatic view of deloads.

Our simple-but-not-dogmatic rules of thumb are these:

1) If you are making progress don't stop.
2) If you get sick, travel, or have 2 bad sessions, then stop. Note "2" = 1 or 3 or whatever the heck we want because we're not being dogmatic. if you're just plain sick of it stop for awhile.

I've been sick for a week and have not been to the gym. Today I'm going back, it's squat day, but I'm hardly going for a PR. I'm looking to get some chalk on my hands, say hi to everybody, mess around with some new stuff maybe and call it a day. Then we'll see how I feel on Thursday.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:40 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

I stopped for a week for the first time in 3 yrs.
And have only gone back once in over 3 months.

That is a different story. But something to be said about losing momentum.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:34 pm 

Life frequently plays havoc with my workout schedule. Occasionally I just can't work out as often as I plan. So for me, a few days of complete rest from lifting works out well. If I had a regular enough life so that I never missed workouts, I'd plan a session or 2 of decreased load in some form. A week of doing lifts that you don't usually do is fun sometimes.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:37 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

A pet hate of mine is thinking of a deload as a week off...

Sure, you deload on a week off but, an actual "deload" is simply just a reduction in training stress. Not a removal of training stress. Also, it's a reduction of training stress after either a sudden or gradual increase in training stress. This means that in spite of working with lower percentages and less volume, it should still be a hard session.... You should actually NEED to reduce training stress.

What Oscar posted is a perfect example of why I have a strong dislike for the deload=time off mentality.

I remember a few of my friends jumped into train with my and my training partner. This was maybe, 2008. We jumped on 5-3-1, as it was easiest to adjust it for everyone and have everyone train together in spite of different levels of lifters. 2 of them in particular just wouldn't come every 4th week. When I moaned about it, "what? it was deload anyway".

Those 2 lasted about 6 months, actually made decent progress and have never been back. One still pays for his member ship and still kids himself on that he'll come back, the other gave his membership to his g/f (whos is one of my newest clients :) ).

Deload weeks still "build" strength. They definitely don't test it, but they build it. And half the battle with strength is technique mastery, taking a week off, at the very least, loses out on this benefit. Lots of things "build" strength without relying on lifting really-heavy-weights. You also have your assistance work and any rehab or prehab work you might do. These things don't eat into your CNS-Fatigue and should still be done.

In my view, weeks off should be reserved for Life - either illness or some kind of sh*t hitting some kind of fan. Life always gets in the way at least some of the time. You can safely assume that you'll need to take the odd week off due to "life".

I'm very "pro deload". I've tried quite a few ways of doing it. Right now my training doesn't have a dedicated week deload, but training stress is gradually increased over 9 weeks, with percentages becoming higher and higher. Week 10 is technically a "deload", except the sat/sun of week 10, which is either mock competition or real comptition, then I just repeat the cycle... I'm really enjoying it. I normally program a deload every 4th, and mess about with volume in the first 3 weeks to properly justify the 4th week deload.

Beginners don't need to worry about deloading. And, people who are inconsistent can't justify it, either, in my opinion.

KPj

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:53 am 

thanks for the input!

i can't really say, if this bodyweight only week worked good as a deload week. last week i worked out one day and the performance was not that good and before the 2nd workout day of the week i unfortunately suffered a hard thigh knock (dead leg?) at soccer. so this is one of the situations where you are forced to take some days off...