ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:17 am 
Rookie
Rookie

i don't get this HUGE difference in these two!

i only started training 3 weeks ago, and i've been doing the Dumbbell Curl, only being able to do 5kg over 12 reps, or even 10. maybe 6 if i killed myself.

than i remembered i used to do Dumbbell Concentration Curl back in the day, so i did that, and BAM i can do 9kg no problem...

why the huge difference? and which one should i keep doing? (assuming i want my biceps to grow.) - i understand the concentration one works on the
brachialis mainly... but what doesn't make sense to me is, the bicep is bigger, therefore should have more power and lift more... no?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:29 pm 

I am hesitant to handle this--my understanding isn't as precise as I'd like.

Do you do the concentration curls with the arm completely vertical inside the knee, or at a bit of an angle? If you do it at an angle, I think the answer lies in an understanding of the concepts on these 2 pages:

http://exrx.net/ExInfo/Muscle.html#anchor1279543

http://exrx.net/Kinesiology/AnglePull.html

I think that in the concentration curl, the most efficient part of the muscles' range comes into play when the gravity force vector is the greatest, but with the simple DB curl, the muscle is contracted beyond it's most efficient point by the time the gravity vector is maxed.

Most lifters would not notice this, since they swing the DB curl, developing momentum with the swing at the bottom of the movement. The fact that you can't move more weight with the DB curl than you can with the conc curl shows (I think) that you are using strict form on the DB curl.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 9:29 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, I would say gravity vector too. I bet at least half of it is mostly moving the dumbbell horizontally, and you are in the more powerful part of the lift by the time you are actually lifting the weight any significant distance vertically, where you actually resist gravity.

Do the conc curl with your arm further forward so there is at least some vertical movement throughout the whole ROM, and a lot of vertical movement in most of the ROM.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 am 
Rookie
Rookie

well i tried reading those two pages but its liek chinese to me.

anyway i tried doing bicep curls while standing up, and could easily do 8gm.. no sure what teh diff is but.. that helped i guess.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 12:32 pm 
Veteren Member
Veteren Member

它的对我的喜欢汉语。

ORLY?