ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 9:44 am 
Novice
Novice

I'm currently working on my meal plan for bulking. It's very hard for me to reach carbs needs (about 420g) and calories so I daily eat about 300g of brown bread. I can't think of something that could replace it. I read many articles but some say it doesnt have any negative sides while others say don't eat much bread.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 3:15 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Eating bread is the new no-no in health fashion. Or it was, like a year ago. Paleo and primal thought's are what was the reason grains were considered very evil. The scare was about the protein of the grains that messes up your system and gives you everything from diabetes and digestion issues to alzheimers and baldness. These theories have since been argued and questioned, and it remains more of an opinion and preference, than actual fact science in my books.

I don't eat grains or bread, because rigth now I'm just trying to stay lean, and I don't need that stuff. Plus I find the combination of other carbs better for my stomach and general eating habits. Oats, Rice, Sweet potato, Quinoa and fruits are my main carb sources that serve the purpose welll.

But sure, the meaning of bulking is to eat lots. So eat lots. Bread doesn't give you any issues? Eat it. It's very simple. Keep what works and cut out all that doesn't work.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 5:41 am 
Novice
Novice

Thanks! I never had any problems with eating too much bread, but I wanted to switch it from time to time just for varieties sake.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:05 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

My advice would be to pick bread and grain high in fibre. When you eat a crapton of food, you need to try to keep your digestion and gut healthy and efficient. Eating as much fibre as you can on the side will help with that. I know some people are against this idea, because the fibre supposedly makes the insulin spike worse and longer in duration. There is some controversy and criss-cross science behind this argument, and I don't think it's a problem especially when bulking.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:01 am 
Novice
Novice

I usually stay away from white bread and stuff like that. I eat lots of fruits and nuts so my fibre intake is very good

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:58 am 
former lurker

I also stay away from bread eat a diet food planed by my dietician and she refer a nutritious diet like fresh fruits,juice and vegetables.