ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 10:58 am 
Rookie
Rookie

well im asking because i started to work weights 1.5 months ago, and it'' be a while till i start cutting.

im 182cm, weight 80kg (was 77 when started working out, also started taking creatine)

i haven't been measured ACCURETLY but im between 18-15% body fat (no more than that).

since i haven't worked out in 3 years my obliques are non-existant and my RA is as weak as butter...
im asking, if i just keep working out now for a year, doing crunches, deadlift, bent over rows, squat (all those that use RA as stablizers)
will there really be ZERO change in how my stomach looks? i dont mean seeing the ab muscle (6/8 pack) i mean any change, stomach being
less slack, more "Tight" on the body, like when i felx it or pull it to my back

thanks!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:24 am 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

if your core is weak, it'll stick out a bit more so strengthening your core will make it appear flatter. Squats and stuff'll help but you'd get faster results doing some kind of core workout, planks, jacknives etc

Won't make much difference to how it looks if you've got a belly though

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:20 pm 

No - genetics plays a significant role as well.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:04 am 
Rookie
Rookie

welll, its hard to say "belly" its REALLY tiny - its more that the area isnt "TIGHT", (u could make out the top 4 "pack" and genetics wise, i used to have an 8 pack around 4-5 years ago (was 18-20)
so genetics is there unless it changes :P

so core exercises will help tighten everything up? thats goo to know, anything besides plank that you would recommend?

edit: my workout is already pretty long (but good)
i can only plank for about 1 minute atm, does 1 min every workout make any diff? or none at all?

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 1:22 pm 

For plank, how about 5 reps of 30 sec, rather than trying to go longer? Or weighted planks. Try googling "McGill crunches" or "McGill Raises" for a safe alternative to crunches and sit ups.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:13 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

been doing Cable Kneeling Crunch for tummy

should i stop altogether and go planking?

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:12 am 

Caniv wrote:
been doing Cable Kneeling Crunch for tummy

should i stop altogether and go planking?

cable crunches are a great exercise for the rectus abdominis (the 6-pack muscle) but you need to strengthen the deep core muscles. You don't need to stop the cable crunches, but you need a core exercise too.

Planks are a good shout, rollouts, swiss ball jacknives, stir-the-pot. Any exercise where you have to really brace your abs

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:20 am 
Rookie
Rookie

lol sigh
my workout is SO LONG! maybe i should do it on my "off gym" workdays? is that a good idea?

can i do RA exresises every day? or do the same 48 hour rest rules apply?
ty!

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:09 am 

Caniv wrote:
lol sigh
my workout is SO LONG! maybe i should do it on my "off gym" workdays? is that a good idea?

can i do RA exresises every day? or do the same 48 hour rest rules apply?
ty!

split your workout up better then mate

I tried doing ab exercises every day and what I found was it made my core too fatigued to squat. Something to consider.

try it and see, it won't kill you even if it doesn't help

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:38 pm 
Rookie
Rookie

It's not all diet. By building the ab muscles, obliques, etc... they protrude through the skin and are more visible. I'm not suggesting doing ultra heavy stuff, but definitely training them effectively and fatiguing them will cause growth. You have may noticed that some people have a low bodyfat percentage but no definition in their abs. It's sometimes becasue their abs are not developed.

I think plank and other isometric exercises are easier on your spinal discs (so they say) because you avoid flexion, but will not develop the muscles as effectively as dynamic exercises, such as bicycles, stability ball crunches, and hanging knee raises. (Change the muscle to quads-- would "wall sits" develop your quads as well as squats?).

Also, engage your core when you walk, move, and do other exercises. That will train the deep muscles to hold things in and become your new norm. If you don't know how, then pretend you're walking on the beach with no shirt on trying to impress a hot girl you're with--all the time--welcome to engaging your core!
:headbang:
Good luck.