ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: My workout
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 5:49 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hi all, I was wondering if anyone would mind evaluating my workout plan in accordance with my goals? I am a 21 year old male, six feet tall, weighing between 175 and 180 lbs depending on day/time of weighing. I would estimate my bodyfat to be at most 12%, probably closer to 10%. My goal is to reduce body fat to somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-7% (something low enough for me to feel comfortable walking around without a shirt on (I have poor body image and self confidence issues)).
My workout program looks something like this:
Chest Day
Bench 2 sets of 10
dumbell incline bench 2x10
dips 2x as many as possible (amp)
Cable flys 1x 10 high, 1x10 mid, 1x10 low (based on height setting on machine)
and then I do my pushup workout which is kinda hard to describe in words
and then I do 15 mins of various ab/oblique/hip flexor/low back stuff
and then if I've got time I do 30 mins of cardio type stuff which looks like
5 mins on a row machine high intensity
5 mins on a stair stepper highest intensity
15 mins on an arc trainer at medium intensity
5 mins on stair stepper at low intensity
Back/shoulder day
Pull Ups 2xAMP
Low Rows 2x10
Pull Downs 2x10
High Rows 2x10
Bent Over Rows 2x10
Shrugs either 2x10 with dumbells or I go heavy and do 3 sets amp with 405, 455, 495
Shoulder press 2x10
Upright Rows 2x10
Rear delt Machine 2x10
Dumbell front raises 2x10
Dumbell lateral raises 2x10
dumbell bent over lateral raises 2x10
Abs
maybe cardio if I have time
Bi/Tri
Barbell Curls 2x10
Alternating Dumbell curls 2x10
Preacher curls 2x10
some sort of burnout, usually cable dropset
Tri complexes (skull crushers, pullover, narrow press) 2x10
tri pushdowns 2x10
kickbacks 2x10
maybe a tri burnout (probably cable dropset pushdowns)
abs
cardio?
Legs
Squats 2x10
Straight leg deadlifts 2x10
Multidirectional lunges 2x8
Ham curls 2x10
Quad extention 2x10
Good mornings 2x10 (or some other ham)
Calf press 2x10 super setted with one legged calf raises
seated calf raise 2x10
abs
maybe cardio

I usually do this program for 6 days on 1 day off. Anyway, if anyone has suggestions for improvement please let me know. Oh, incidentally this program is also being used on my weight lifting partern a 21 year old female who is 5'3" 115 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:15 pm 

Going from 10% to 6-7% can be very hard and more assocaited with genetics and diet than any specific routine. As long as you are doing some form of strength training and some minimal cardio then the kinds of improvements you are talking about come from very strict dieting and some luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:37 pm 
6% is contest ready. You'd look like a greek god at 8 if you had a little more meat on you. It's hard to maintain lower then that. Most guys get up to 11 or 12 off season. You are bodybuilding right? That's why you are doing that kind of workout right? You are at a strange middle ground. If you are natural, tone it down. If your not, ramp it up. But why cut while "on"? If you are bodybuilding I would think you would want to pack on more muscle at this point. So if you are a bodybuilder, you need a lot more muscle before you worry about that. Don't put the cart in front of the horse. If you just want to be lean and thin, 2 or 3 sets per part is plenty. Besides that 6% is for a contest, it gives you that shrink wrapped look that makes muscles look bigger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:36 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'm not a competitive body builder by any stretch, I'm just someone who is overly concerned with my physical appearance and makes the time to spend 2-3 hours in the gym a day :-D. I've been trying like crazy to pack on more muscle but it doesn't really seem to be working with this current workout, any suggestions to improve that?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:56 pm 

2-3 hours everyday can definately be too little rest for many people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:11 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I'd spend less time in the gym but I feel like I've hardly gotten a workout in if I'm in and out in an hour or so. Today my workout was quick but thats cuz I tried some funky 8x8 low rest workout on my legs and was done in like 40 mins.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:05 am 
Just for a quick example, on chest day, after you do the first two exercises, STOP. Those 4 sets are all you need. Unless you are going kind of light. Then maybe a little more. If you are going heavy that's it. Move on to something else. More then an hour is counter productive. When you read the magazines don't do the "How I built my mass" workout. Read the "natural" workout. Or the "when you cycle off" workout. You can pack on plenty of mass but it is going to take longer. It has to be done in line with natural recovery ability. You do enough to fatigue the muscles, but not totaly tear them up. You also have to vary volume and intensity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 4:05 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The thing is, with this routine, I rarely get sore. If I do get sore it is that tight good sore, not the I can't move my body sore. I realize I might be overtraining but I basically built this workout using a template from EXRX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 pm 

Getting sore doesnt mean you had a good workout. Not getting sore doesnt mean you arent building muscle/strength.

If you can workout for 3 hours without losing performance then I think you need to raise the intensity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:58 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

alright, I'll kick it up a notch :-D. Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:46 pm 
You definitely need to throw in some heavier sets...you cant just do 10 reps all the time. I'll guarantee you after doing 5 sets of low rep heavy deadlifts that feeling of not having worked out enough wont be a problem! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:52 pm 
Get someone to spot you. That way you can find your 1 rep max. Don't hold anything back give it all you got. Then do like 85% or more, low reps. You could benefit from failure if you have been going light all this time. Maybe try max-OT or beyond failure. Go hard for a few months until you start to "overreach". Then back it off to 70% or so with less rest and higher volume until your CNS recovers. You'll be sore for a couple weeks every time you change protocols. Then you get used to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:16 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mog16 wrote:
The thing is, with this routine, I rarely get sore. If I do get sore it is that tight good sore, not the I can't move my body sore. I realize I might be overtraining but I basically built this workout using a template from EXRX

You picked an ADVANCED WO template. How long have you been training consistently?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:34 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been lifting with consistency for about a year and a half or two years. My sets of 8-12 are based on the low volume training article from exrx, my estimated 1rm is about 250 for bench so I do sets with 185 until I can do 12 then I'll move up to sets of 190 and so on. I aim to make every set fail between the 8th and 12th rep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:39 am 
You are pretty strong for your size. Try to bench 3 sets of 225 to failure. Then do 3 sets of inclines at 205 to failure. Or do 2 sets of each with drop sets. You'll have to lower the volume and ramp up the intensity some how, if you want to grow. Do something like that for your other body parts too. I almost wonder if you just aren't trying hard enough. Maybe you can bench more then 250. It could just be the length of time and the cardio afterwards sending you into a catabolic state. That could be the reason you are not bigger. Maybe you need to eat more too.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next