ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: read this first
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:14 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

This was an idea Jungledoc had so I'll let him fill in some of the details. The main idea is that each topic in this sub-forum will be a category, and training articles will be posted in them. I have it set so you can only create a topic if you are a moderator of this sub-forum. I have made several people with the highest post counts standard moderators for this sub-forum. So basically they can do anything in here except ban people from the sub-forum.

We can discuss categories here. Moderators can create topics for the categories, as well as manage the posts. I'll let Jungledoc explain posting guidelines.

Polls are disabled by the way.

Post subject: Re: read this first
PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:57 am 

The idea is to have a thread for articles on squat, deadlift, bench, etc., and on different training methods, like HIIT. We could also have threads for articles on different aspects of nutrition, but that might be harder to keep specific. I'd think a thread on Paleo, one on IF, etc.

I'd suggest that we avoid taking up lots of space with discussion. Maybe when you post an article, just make a few comments about why you think it's a good one to post.

My hope is that when questions come up elsewhere (i.e. General) about squat technique, instead of having to say, "I saw a good article about that sometime, but I don't remember where it was", we can say "there are a bunch of good articles on that in the "Training Articles" forum.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 6:35 pm 
Necromancer
Necromancer

Could there be a thread about terminology specificity in relation to some adjectives here? For example with the term 'lying'

In many cases "lying" is used in different contexts. It doesn't specify whether one is lying on one's back or one's chest or even the side.

This is a suggestion I am wondering if we could contact the ExRx article writers about. I'll provide some article links to explain what I mean:

"lying" > "supine lying" : http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bac ... ngRow.html
(wish we had more pages like this, along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4i8SpNgzA4&t=20 it is an open-chain light-weight version of bodyweight rows like http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bac ... neRow.html which would, unlike prone rowing, have less of the chest compression involved with chest-supported, and less of the erector exhaustion involved with unsupported)

This shows doing a cable row while lying on one's back, from a high pulley. You can also do a cable row while lying on your chest while using a low pulley, which would be a "prone lying" cable row.

"lying" > "prone lying" : http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bac ... ngRow.html and http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Bac ... ngRow.html

I know you can't exactly do a "supine row" with free weights like you can with pulleys, for for conistency's sake I think it would be good to use the term 'prone' if only to keep it in people's vocabulary and help us with collectively categorizing "prone rows" versus "supine rows".

Prone and supine are terms that also have a broader context than "lying" as well. A bent-over barbell row, for example, is a prone row you do without lying down, while an inverted row (australian pull up) is a supine row you do without lying down.

"lying" > "side lying" : http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Inf ... ation.html and http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/Del ... Raise.html

In this case I might even add "horizantal lying" because you can lie on an incline bench to do lateral raises too. Actually yeah, specifying the angle of bench in pretty much any 'lying' exercise should be done because horizantal isn't necessarily going to be implied.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:57 am 

Ironman wrote:
This was an idea Jungledoc had so I'll let him fill in some of the details. The main idea is that each topic in this sub-forum will be a category, and training articles will be posted in them. I have it set so you can only create a topic if you are a moderator of this sub-forum. I have made several people with the highest post counts standard moderators for this sub-forum. So basically they can do anything in here except ban people from the sub-forum.

We can discuss categories here. Moderators can create topics for the categories, as well as manage the posts. I'll let Jungledoc explain posting guidelines.

Polls are disabled by the way.

I don't see a "New Topic" button here.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:18 pm 

stuward wrote:

There should be, since you're a moderator on this forum. Ironman???

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:21 pm 

tyciol wrote:
Could there be a thread about terminology
No. You've missed the point. If you want to start a thread on overthinking the word lying, go ahead, but not here.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:18 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
stuward wrote:

There should be, since you're a moderator on this forum. Ironman???

I have the moderator control panel, and the [Post Reply], but no [New Topic] button.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:53 am 

I've PMed IM about that. I'm sure he'll fix it.

Meantime, I've started a few threads with some posts to show what I was thinking. You can just post a link, but a comment or two may be helpful. A full review probably isn't necessary very often, but if you feel it's a good idea, break a leg!

I've started topics for Squat, DL, Bench and TGU. I'm thinking one for accessories, conditioning, programming principles (not just programs, we have a place for that elsewhere), chins, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:51 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Jungledoc wrote:
I've PMed IM about that. I'm sure he'll fix it.

Meantime, I've started a few threads with some posts to show what I was thinking. You can just post a link, but a comment or two may be helpful. A full review probably isn't necessary very often, but if you feel it's a good idea, break a leg!

I've started topics for Squat, DL, Bench and TGU. I'm thinking one for accessories, conditioning, programming principles (not just programs, we have a place for that elsewhere), chins, etc.

Olympic lifts (And its variations) could be one too. Many of us use Cleans, High Pulls or DB/KB versions in our programs.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:36 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Oops, I didn't realize that assigning moderator rights would not automatically give full user rights. I've only ever done global, and that's how global works. This is different though. So I made a new group so everyone can post a topic.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:48 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Ironman wrote:
Oops, I didn't realize that assigning moderator rights would not automatically give full user rights. I've only ever done global, and that's how global works. This is different though. So I made a new group so everyone can post a topic.

Looks good, I now see the [New Topic] button. Looking forward to this new forum, this is a very good idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:50 am 
n00b
n00b

Could we add some more stuff using kettlebells (like the turkish getup one), for swings, snatches, or even shoulder pressing? P.S. I have a ton of resources on nutritional approaches if you want to go ahead and add the Paleo, vegan, raw, IF, whatevers. I can send them to you ahead of time.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:50 pm 

Thanks for the suggestions. I have started threads for general kettlebells and for TGU, which I think deserved it's own. The other stuff belongs in the nutrition forum. Please don't just post a whole bunch of stuff at once. One or two thoughtful posts accompanied by a link or two are more appreciated than a big pile of someone's favorite links all at once. And that's a good place to start discussions. Sometimes heated debates. Sometimes brawls that lead to moderators locking threads.

This forum is intended just as a library, not a place for detailed discussion. So if you post an article about a training technique, please feel free to give a few words stating what you think is strong about the article or caution about something that you disagree with, but let's not start discussions here--that can go in General.