ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: single leg training
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:58 pm 
n00b
n00b

Hey everyone i have been attempting to do 1 leg leg press, and 1 leg hack squat. The results im getting are amazing in terms of muscle and strength development. The only issue is the knee pain, and considering ive never had knee pain before its kind of strange that these new exercises are causing it.

Is there any way to do these type of exercises safely and if so what is it?

My form currently is as follows:

Foot completely vertical

Disengaged leg is set on the ground inside of the leg press (as opposed to holding it in the air)

Foot is slight offset from the dead center of the pad

Thanks in advanced for any responses :D

Post subject: Re: single leg training
PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Make sure your foot is straight and that your knee doesn't go too far forward at the bottom of the lift. You may need to adjust your angle so that your knee isn't going too far past your toe. Also make sure you don't have your leg too far to teh center. Scoot over a little if needed, so you can have your leg in a comfortable position like it would be in with a bilateral press, but still near the center. In other words you adjust where you are laying rather than your leg position.

I recently acquired a vertical leg press, and I use it one leg at a time for both leg press and calf press. You don't have to load it very heavy, and you can spot yourself with your other leg.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 10:50 am 
n00b
n00b

Ah so what your saying in regard to leg position is to position your foot directly under the pressing leg? I dont get why it is so important that the leg is close to the center though, it would still leave the hips and knee in the same position as if you just re adjusted your footing position as opposed to moving your body. I would like to use a vertical leg press but to my knowledge it neglects the rectus femoris as it does not go to full hip extention.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:33 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Where your foot is on the platform may or may not matter depending on the machine. What I am talking about is your hip, as far as how much it is abducted/adducted/rotated, and also the rotational position of your knee. Some people adducted their hip and rotate their knee in, as compared to using two legs.

The other part that matters is the pressure on the knee, the smaller the angle behind the knee and in front of the ankle, the greater the force on the knee.

The rectus femoris is involved in knee extension and hip FLEXION. It's not involved much in hip extension, that's more glutes. All leg presses have varying degrees of hip extension, and this can be changed not only by machine, but also your position. If you notice, when you get more hip extension, you feel it a little in your hamstrings. Same thing with lunges, wider stance ( more hip movement) gives you more hamstring involvement.

It is the upper portion of the hip extension that is eliminated entirely in a vertical leg press. Your internal hip flexors in the lower abdomen are only used isometrically, the abs are just resisting internal pressure, and the lower back is do practically nothing.

I actually consider that to be a benefit of the machine. The disadvantages are the location of the plate posts, and positioning yourself on the machine.

Given your concerns about hip extension, when you use the hack squat, my guess is your leg is way far back, and you go too low as well. That will definitely give you knee pain.