ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:37 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:12 am 

Beneficial, harmful, or inconsequential? Just curious cause for example I might have to schedule things where around 1pm I do deadlifts, and then later on in the evening, say 6pm, I do bench presses. Seems like it would be inconsequential but ya never know...

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yea, it doesn't matter. Sometimes I'll do a few sets on my lunch hour at work, then when I go home I'll do a few sets of other exercises. So I might do chest press before lunch, and then legs before dinner. The key is short sessions, time to rest, and eating something.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 1:00 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

I've always liked the idea of doing a heavy workout in the morning/afternoon, then a "pump" workout in the evening.

So like in the early workout work up to a heavy set of 5 on bench, then a set of 8 on a dumbell incline, then a 5 on dips.

Then in the evening do things like flyes, cable crossovers, push ups etc doing like 15 - 30 reps.

I reckon that'd be awesome.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 2:58 pm 

"Beneficial, harmful, or inconsequential? Just curious cause for example I might have to schedule things where around 1pm I do deadlifts, and then later on in the evening, say 6pm, I do bench presses. Seems like it would be inconsequential but ya never know..." - Rucifer

I'd go with bench presses in the afternoon and deadlifts in the evening. Then your upper back will be fresh for your bench, which makes you more stable and allows you to press more efficiently. Also, because you're more stable, you're less likely to tweak a shoulder.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:00 pm 

"So like in the early workout work up to a heavy set of 5 on bench, then a set of 8 on a dumbell incline, then a 5 on dips. Then in the evening do things like flyes, cable crossovers, push ups etc doing like 15 - 30 reps." - robertscott

Seems like a lot of volume for one relatively small muscle group.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 3:32 pm 

Matt Z wrote:
"So like in the early workout work up to a heavy set of 5 on bench, then a set of 8 on a dumbell incline, then a 5 on dips. Then in the evening do things like flyes, cable crossovers, push ups etc doing like 15 - 30 reps." - robertscott

Seems like a lot of volume for one relatively small muscle group.

I was just spitballin'. You could set it up differently. I just think a morning strength workout followed by an evening pump workout would be cool.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:08 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Rucifer wrote:
Beneficial, harmful, or inconsequential? Just curious cause for example I might have to schedule things where around 1pm I do deadlifts, and then later on in the evening, say 6pm, I do bench presses. Seems like it would be inconsequential but ya never know...

Ironman' Prescription

Follow his template.

Bulgarian Weightlifters

This is one group that demonstrated the benefits multi-daily, short high intensity training sessions.

"All Work and No Play..."

As someone who implemented this multi-daily training session, one of the drawback is no matter how motivated you are, at some point you mentally burn out.

So, while multi-daily training sessions work, they are best utilized for short periods of time.

Kenny Croxdale