ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: omega 3, 6 and 9
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:01 pm 
Novice
Novice

Hi Guys, I'm just looking for some help regarding fish oil after reading the stickied topic, one post says that the ratio between 3 and 6 should 1:1?

I eat tuna, basa and cod.

My supplement called 'omega 3,6 and 9' gives;
Linseed oil: 800mg
Omega 3 (ALA): 340mg
Omega 6: 114mg
Omega 9: 136mg

I want to get the optimum amount of the omega's, and also have heard they make you 'smarter'

Post subject: Re: omega 3, 6 and 9
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:12 pm 

Omega 3 is best sourced from fish or pasture raised animal meat and fats. If you eat fish 2 or more times a week you likely get enough. Omega 6 is found in multiple sources and is normally over-represented in the modern diet and contributes to chronic inflammation. You should be trying to reduce the amount you get. Omega 9 is monounsaturated found in nuts, meat and olive oil and you don't need to supplement. However it's likely healthy for you.

1:1 is an unrealistic number to shoot for. 2:1 to 4:1 is more realistic and there's no less science supporting it than the more aggressive number. That sticky was written back in the O3 hey-day and probably should be amended. It's more important to reduce O6 than it is to increase O3.

Linseed, or flax oil, is a poor substitute for fish. You only can convert a small part of ALA to EPA and DHA that you need.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:35 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Stu, I don't think this question is to much of a hijack of the thread, so here goes. Is there a rule of thumb for general ratios of chicken to beef to fish for best o3/o6? I'm partly wondering because you are saying it is more important to reduce o6, and from what I know cheap chicken is high in o6.

I'm pretty happy with two servings of chicken a day, fish once/week and beef 3-4 times/week, supplementing with daily fish oil. This has me gradually losing body fat while still making gains in the gym. With those two benefits I'd like to stick with it, am I in the red zone with all that chicken though? Maybe swap out some chicken for fish?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:25 pm 

Ken, I doubt there any ideal ratio and 99 dietitians would have 99 different answers.

Paul Jaminet wrote this, then backtracked after the comments, largely from Rachel Virden. http://perfecthealthdiet.com/2013/01/ch ... -mediocre/

As long as most of the fat in your diet comes from animal sources, I'd be satisfied, and if most of that was reasonably close to wild, even better.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:00 pm 
Novice
Novice

My meat diet consists of I'd say 50% chicken, 30% tuna and 20% fish, I don't really eat beef because of its high saturated fat, should I be eating more?

I'm guessing people are gonna say eat more beef, in which case I'd go for say chicken 40%, tuna 20% fish 20% beef 20%, therefore personally I still wanna get more omega 3, and less omega 6...

I gonna try and find a supplement offering more omega 3, and less omega 6 and no/less linseed oil.....

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:11 pm 
Novice
Novice

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/omega-3/10529329.html?rbm=a

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/super-omega-3/10615610.html?rbm=a

http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/cod-liver-oil/10529661.html?rbm=a

My thinking says cod liver oil is made up of omega 3, 6, 9?

The 2nd link, super omega, is too expensive for me, but how good are those 3?

Thanks