ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261 ... 265  Next
 Post subject: Re: Random crap
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:03 am 

That's great for him, but I don't know that there is hope for me! I've benched more than that, but last week I missed less then that. Maybe I'm already going downhill. I've got 30 years to recover, and get back enough to beat this by the time I'm in the the 90+ category.

I like your new picture, by the way!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:58 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

There was a health and wellness fair at my work today, so of course they had free ice cream and funnel cake. After all, what says "health and wellness" more than ice cream and funnel cake.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:03 pm 

PS) Apparently the new cable station my gym is getting isn't to replace the old worn-out one. Instead it's going to be for the exclusive use of the trainers and their clients. Go figure. Anyway, I don't really care about that, but I am a little concerned about losing floor space. I'm going to be very angry if I don't have room to do Turkish Get-ups.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:55 pm 

I saw Mothra at work today!

http://bugguide.net/node/view/427

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:57 pm 

PS) My gym got two new used barbells. They're from the E-town location, but they're better than anything we have.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:42 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Pics of a hardcore scrap metal gym.

http://imgur.com/gallery/GGIRM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:27 pm 
Associate Member
Associate Member

Alpha-ketoglutarate looks promising as a supplement

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:13 pm 

from the wiki

"α-Ketoglutaric acids is sold as a dietary supplement and to body builders as AKG or a-KG with the claim that it improves peak athletic performance. This claim is based on studies that show excess ammonia in the body can combine with alpha-ketoglutarate, reducing problems associated with ammonia toxicity.[2] However, the only studies that show alpha-ketoglutarate can reduce ammonia toxicity have been performed in hemodialysis patients.[2]"

according to ergo-log (which is the best website ever) there are some fairly modest benefits, and I use "modest" generously.

http://www.google.com/custom?domains=er ... 1%3B&hl=en

that'll give you a list of underwhelming studies.

Save your money, buy steak.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:42 am 

My former client, current training partner, and fellow powerlifter has been selected to be part of the Scottish Team for the 4 nations competition this year (Scotland, England, Wales, Northern Ireland, for those who don't know what that means).

Exciting stuff and very proud moment. Not bad for having only done ONE competition.

Our next Scottish competition is August 11th, then she has 4 nations in September in Belfast.

KPj

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:37 am 

weird thing happened to me at work this morning.

I open the shop up at 9.30, same as always. It's quiet in the mornings so I do my usual routine of checking my emails, making sure the shop's tidy, just little things. Then I get a bit peckish so I decide to have a sit down by the window and eat some of the food I've brought.

So I'm just chilling in my comfy chair by the window, doing my usual daydreaming and checking out girls, when two PCSOs (Police Community Support Officers) go past. If you're unfamiliar with these guys, they're like kinda half-policemen. They enforce litter laws, noise complaints, that sort of thing. They often wear plain clothes over their uniforms but you can see walkie talkie aerials sticking out their jackets so they're not exactly hard to spot.

So anyway I'm just chilling out, eating my sad little breakfast of an apple and some turkey chunks when the two PCSOs come in. I say good morning and one of them goes to show me his ID. I say it's ok, I don't need to see his ID as no one would impersonate a PCSO just for the police supplement discount we do in the shop. I figure the guys are just in for some supps; police come in quite a lot as we advertise a public servant discount.

A conversation ensues:

Me - Good morning guys, what can I do for you?
PCSO - Good morning sir. Are you aware there's bins in the area?
Me - Uh, yeah there are, there's a bin through the back if you'd like to use it?
PCSO - Do you see that white paper bag outside?
Me - Yeah man, I see it, what about it?
PCSO - We've just witnessed you drop it.
Me - How could you have, when I've been inside the shop all morning?
PCSO - Well we just saw you leave the shop, drop it, and go back inside.
Me - How could you have? Not only have I not left the shop until since I opened it at 9.30, I didn't have a white paper bag to drop. You can't have witnessed me doing it because I didn't do it.
PCSO - That's fine then sir, have a nice day.

And with that, they left, got in a car and drove off. What's it all about? They just came into the shop to see if they could get me to confess to dropping a paper bag that I had nothing to do with, and lied about seeing me do it. Then when challenged, they folded and left.

Really weird.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:35 pm 

is this forum on its way out?

Very few posts these days...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:20 am 

Goes in cycles.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:39 am 

like solar eclipses, only less frequent.

It's kinda sad Oscar doesn't post anymore. I liked that guy, and was really hoping he'd lose the weight and get healthy.

I hope his not posting here anymore doesn't mean he gave up

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:18 am 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

robertscott wrote:
like solar eclipses, only less frequent.

It's kinda sad Oscar doesn't post anymore. I liked that guy, and was really hoping he'd lose the weight and get healthy.

I hope his not posting here anymore doesn't mean he gave up

Look who's talking. Mr. I don't update my training log because of reasons.
It's summer. I'm bloody busy and not really that much at the computer. Didn't we have this same conversation last summer as well?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:02 am 

It does seem to go in cycles.

I still visit very regularly.

Things are finally coming to a head in my gym. Hopefully for the good. I've been holding fire on quitting-the-day job because, almost 2 years ago it was announced that our company had 500million of debt. About a year ago, maybe more it went into administration but got out reasonably quickly. They have been closing and selling clubs up and down the country since then. We were always told that our club was staying, and becoming one of the new "core" clubs in the new restructured business. I've been keeping close eye on the financial state of the club and noticed in January in financial news it was announced they were now debt free and had 20million on the table to reinvest. Yet, no announcement was ever made to us.

2 months ago it was announced we were being taken over by another company.

In that time i've done everything from look at units for myself to open - like a modest PT studio to start. Been approached by one of the other more established trainers to set up with him. Bizarrely I also recently got asked to speak to a guy about opening a Crossfit gym - me to do general PT and strength stuff, him to do CF stuff - a guy who, about a year ago, was very critical of me. Still hasn't actually met me, though, but wants to talk about opening a gym apparently.

However, this new company have a totally new and different approach to what i'm used to. They build the gym around trainers - they want trainers running the gym. It's a long post but, sounds positive. They asked us in a presentation, "has anyone heard of the functional movement screen"...... Well.... now that you come to mention it...

We're still getting to know the ins and outs of the new company so everything is up in the air just now.

Other than that, I have my next competition in 4 weeks.

That's my update for just now :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3964 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260, 261 ... 265  Next