ExRx.net

Exercise Prescription on the Net
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:44 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

or is it just placebo? I took it for my hips for several months, but then stopped to check if it was working, and my knees started hurting! I had a little pain in one before, but not a whole lot at all and definitely not both. Kind of weird.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:28 pm 
Deific Wizard of Sagacity

http://examine.com/supplements/Glucosamine/
http://examine.com/supplements/Methylsulfonylmethane/
http://examine.com/supplements/Chondroitin/

Frank, it appears that there may be a small effect in people with osteoarthritis but the effect is slight and may be negligible. You may be one that sees a benefit.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hey Stu, it sounds like bunk, as your mind can tell you anything. I've heard for years that if you think it will work, then it will. I've asked lots of people at Costco who are buying it and get about the same response; it works great!

What do you think about fish oil? Some new stuff going around now saying it does nothing much, but eating fish is ok. I just wish I had all the money I spent on it for years!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:48 pm 

Not bunk. Small positive effect. Many studies that were for limited time didn't show much, but longer term studies have shown some benefit. I take glucoseamine and costchondroitin. When I run out, my arthritis gradually gets worse, then improves again when I start taking it again. Yes, it could be placebo effect, but I'm pretty convinced I should take it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:43 am 

Yes, there is a difference between small effects and no effects. Most supplements have small effects unless they're illegal. Expectations are sometimes higher than they should be. Fish oil is one of those that were over-hyped at first. The effect is smaller that initially thought, but it still does have an effect. It's better to get your omega 3 from fish or wild/pastured meats, but if you don't eat those on a regular basis, then fish oil is an alternative.

Strength is the adaptation that leads to all other adaptations that you really care about - Charles Staley

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:59 am 
Powerlifting Ninja
Powerlifting Ninja

Jungledoc wrote:
Not bunk. Small positive effect. Many studies that were for limited time didn't show much, but longer term studies have shown some benefit. I take glucoseamine and costchondroitin. When I run out, my arthritis gradually gets worse, then improves again when I start taking it again. Yes, it could be placebo effect, but I'm pretty convinced I should take it.

Glucosemine/Chrondroitin

Like you, it definitely works for me. For that matter it work for the majority of individual who take it.

Kenny Croxdale

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:29 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

I've been taking kirkland glucosamine hci 1500mg (glucosamine hydrochloride) with msm(methylsulfonylmethane) 1500mg . Do you have better luck with other types of glucosame? In the top link above gucosame hydrochloride didn't fare well in the study, and of course thats what i've been taking.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:14 pm 

I don't think there are "other types" of glucoseamine. Brand unimportant.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:11 am 
n00b
n00b

It's very hard to show efficacy for dietary supplements because it simply, depends on too many variables to account for in the control group, if testing. And Jungledoc is right about long term studies. Your brain CAN be a tool but who cares? You probably cannot, unless you're a very experienced yogi or in meditation to be able to obtain the same effect from, say, drinking water, simply.

I took it for knee pain before I got to the root cause of it and I was doing triathlon training with it so in my case, it worked :)